The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Mens or Womens Level (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/17553-mens-womens-level.html)

rviotto13 Tue Jan 11, 2005 09:52pm

Hello Officials,

Where is there more opportunity at the college level to work games. Is it with womens basketball or mens basketball.

What is better to get into??
Thanks

SF Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:13pm

I, personally, do not officiated college basketball yet (someday, hopefully), but I have heard women's basketball is quite a bit easier to get into and to advance in.

mick Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:21pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rviotto13
Hello Officials,

Where is there more opportunity at the college level to work games. Is it with womens basketball or mens basketball.

What is better to get into??
Thanks

rviotto13,
If age was not against me, I would hold out for the Men's game. I cannot imagine Basketball being any better than the Men's game.
mick

JRutledge Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:52pm

I guess it might depend on where you are from. But I understand that the women's game has more opportunities. At least it does for the women officials. There is just more opportunity. I know of women that have less than 5 years that have worked some D1 level ball.

Peace

blindzebra Wed Jan 12, 2005 01:00am

A female official in Phoenix who never reffed a game in her life, she was a firefighter and a high school coach, got varsity her first year. Worked a state tournament semi-final that year. Got JUCO her second year. D1 and the WNBA in her 3rd year. She worked a NCAA tournament game her 4th year and followed that up in the D league for the NBA.

She will be the next female official in the NBA without a doubt, and I worked with her in her first high school game.

rainmaker Wed Jan 12, 2005 01:26am

Quote:

Originally posted by blindzebra
A female official in Phoenix who never reffed a game in her life, she was a firefighter and a high school coach, got varsity her first year. Worked a state tournament semi-final that year. Got JUCO her second year. D1 and the WNBA in her 3rd year. She worked a NCAA tournament game her 4th year and followed that up in the D league for the NBA.

She will be the next female official in the NBA without a doubt, and I worked with her in her first high school game.

Her name?

blindzebra Wed Jan 12, 2005 01:35am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Originally posted by blindzebra

Her name?

Lisa Jones.

tomegun Wed Jan 12, 2005 06:23am

Yes she is. She used to be a serious physical specimen but I heard she stopped working out as much and I also heard she kind of cooled off of the NBA thing. Maybe something changed this year but the last I heard she was going to stick with college and being a firefighter (this was her choice). I do agree that if she wanted to she would definately be the next woman to make the NBA.