The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

A few nights back, I had made mention in a post about an official that had to drop out of a contest from blowing out his knee. In that case there was another official, registered in the State of Montana, in the stands that stepped in to finish the game.
The question this time is, what are some of the scenarios that others forum members have experienced when losing a partner during a contest? The obvious is probably finishing the game by ones self, running free throw line extended to free throw line extended.

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

i've heard of the injured ref staying at one end while the other ref covered as best he coule. what else can you do but work harder.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

I could only imagine working the rest alone, unless one of the refs for the next game showed up early and helped out. I wouldn't let anyone without the state patch fill in. Working alone isn't that big of a deal.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Our local assoc had a situation once where one official (2-person crew) went down in the first quarter during a locally televised game. Another one of our officials was in the stands, but did not bring his gear with him.

The official in the stands borrowed the injured officials gear, but he is way taller and bigger than the injured official. The pants were about as tight as jeans were back in the 70's and they were about 3 inches too short. The shoes didn't fit at all so the replacement ref wore his white tennis shoes during the game.

It's legendary around here. We keep the tape on file to blackmail him as needed. :-)

Z
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

I've never had a partner drop out of a game, but I had to drop out of a game once.

I was running backwards (I know, I know, that's the whole reason this happened and I don't do it anymore) and I fell, I used my arm to brace myself, I guess the way it hit, caused a whole lot of pain, in the end I sprained my wrist, but man did it hurt. I couldn't concentrate on the game, so my partner had to finish it alone, good thing it was the last game of the night, and there was no lasting damage.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 06:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

I set up a ladder at halfcourt on the sideline and call the game volleyball style. Just be sure to set the ladder on the side away from the benches. You can take a water bottle up there, too. Sometimes I even take a battery powered television and turn on Baywatch during the game, especially if it's a blowout.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

A couple years back I had my calf muscle pop (similar to a hamstring but in the calf). It was a BV game and it was the second of two I worked that night (JV and V). I was loose and to this day have no idea why it happened.

The game was pretty much in control by the home team (15-20 point lead as I recall). It was towards the end of the 4th quarter (2:30 or so left). I was jogging easily down the court and at about half court (I was in transition to the lead) I heard a "pop" and after a few more strides the feeling like a rubber band unraveling. I made it to the end line and my leg went out from under me as it couldn't support me. Knowing something was bad wrong I quickly checked and with no immediate action happening, blew my whistle and stopped play. Luckily the school had a "real" trainer (not from Balco thank you). My partner had to finish the game alone.

Fast forward a few weeks. After missing several weeks of games, I tried to come back. In the first quarter of a BV my calf "popped" for a second time, this time not as severe (or so I thought). I had to keep working. I told my partner what happened and he tried to cover deeper as the trail and cheat as the lead to help compensate. The game was a local cable broadcast game to boot. I never saw the broadcast but was told my leg looked like dead weight by the end.

Out for the rest of the season.

[Edited by ChiliBob on Jan 14th, 2005 at 06:16 PM]
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
I set up a ladder at halfcourt on the sideline and call the game volleyball style. Just be sure to set the ladder on the side away from the benches. You can take a water bottle up there, too. Sometimes I even take a battery powered television and turn on Baywatch during the game, especially if it's a blowout.
I'm sorry, but since I don't do Volleyball, would there be any height restrictions on the ladder?
Probably from a safety point of view the ladder would have to be completely out of bounds and you would have to have the legs padded in the event of a slam dunk into the beverage holder.

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I had a ms double header with a guy who kept leaving and then coming back in and then dashing out without warning and then coming back in. He wouldn't tell me what was wrong. I kept telling him to go home, for Pete's sake, but he wouldn't. Turns out, he went straight to the ER and was in hospital for about three days. He had an intestinal blockage, and had been dashing out to hurl.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 08:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
He had an intestinal blockage, and had been dashing out to hurl.
Or.......he was critiquing your officiating, and was just being polite.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 09:59pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Nice Mark!!!!!!!!!!! And people say officiating is a tuff job!!
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Question Recommendations

I have officiated a handful of games by myself, during which I have made up some of my own mechanics and positioning rules. Has NFHS or IAABO (or any similar organization) ever offered any written guidance about working games by one's self?
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

I lost my partner (female) due to the fact that her bra broke and she couldn't get it fixed in a manner that would function properly without causing too much discomfort. She didn't have an extra and I'll leave it at that.......
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosierdaddy
I lost my partner (female) due to the fact that her bra broke and she couldn't get it fixed in a manner that would function properly without causing too much discomfort. She didn't have an extra and I'll leave it at that.......
Yet another reason you should always carry a roll of duct tape with you.... :-)
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

some of us don't need duct tape, band aids work just fine for support....

coach g