The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   women's college rules (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/17502-womens-college-rules.html)

BamaRef Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:50am

I took my youngest daughter to a women's college game. I have some question reguarding rules and mechanics.

Is there a 10 second count in the backcourt?

Is there a 5 second count in the frontcourt?

If the ball is strong side, next to the baseline, does the trail or lead signal the three point try?

I watched the officials signal illegal contact two different ways. The first used an open palm with a hatchet chop motion, the second used a closed fist with a hitting motion to signal. Which way is correct?

I also noticed that the trail always chopped the clock in. Is that conference mechanic or is that practiced nation wide?

Finally, I noticed that while shooting free throws, the women standing along the lane lines stand on block higher up from the baseline than the men. Can they enter when the ball is released, or must they wait until it gets to the rim?

Thanks for your help, I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

Mark Dexter Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:18am

Quote:

Originally posted by BamaRef

Nope - now that you know, I expect you to laugh at the morons in the stands who scream for a ten second violation when the shot clock hits 20. (The real dumb ones call for it at 25.)

Quote:

Yes, sort of. Women's college rules have a five second closely-guarded count anywhere on the court (front or back court), but it only applies when A1 is holding the ball and a defender is within 3 (not 6) feet.

Quote:

If the ball is strong side, next to the baseline, does the trail or lead signal the three point try?

From memory, either one can. Depends on how much is going on in the paint.

Quote:

I watched the officials signal illegal contact two different ways. The first used an open palm with a hatchet chop motion, the second used a closed fist with a hitting motion to signal. Which way is correct?

By the book, the first way is probably 'correct.' However, many college officials tend to be a bit looser with their foul reporting mechanics - demonstrating what was done rather than an 'official' signal. This tends to be a matter of personal (and assignor) preference.

Quote:

I also noticed that the trail always chopped the clock in. Is that conference mechanic or is that practiced nation wide?

Nationwide for women's ball - sneaking in to some men's crews.

Quote:

Finally, I noticed that while shooting free throws, the women standing along the lane lines stand on block higher up from the baseline than the men. Can they enter when the ball is released, or must they wait until it gets to the rim?

They're supposed to be standing a block higher.

Rules regarding players on the lane/outside remain the same.

TerpZebra Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:22am

Quote:

Originally posted by BamaRef
I took my youngest daughter to a women's college game. I have some question reguarding rules and mechanics.

there is no 10 second backcourt count.

Quote:

closely guarded (5 seconds) is counted anywhere on the court, but only on a held ball situation

Quote:

The women's mechanics are similiar to the NBA. The Lead has 3-point attempts on strong side below the free throw line. The Trail above.

Quote:

Both are correct.

Quote:

This is a nationwide women's mechanic. When the ball stays in the front court, the lead sounds their whistle and the trail raises their hand to chop the clock. this way the table can see when to start the clock better.

Quote:

They are moved up to ease excessive contact. They are allowed to enter when it is released.

Quote:

Thanks for your help, I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

Anytime! The more information I can spread about women's mechanics, the better! :)

TerpZebra

TerpZebra Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:23am

JINX!

IREFU2 Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:39am

I went to a womens camp last year and their machanics are kind of different. So here are the answers -

No 10 second count in the back court.

No 5 second count unless on a held ball (closely Guarded)

The coverage is different were as the leads cover extends pass the 3 point arc to the side line and yes the lead motions for the 3 point attempt. The trail takes the coverage in the paint.

The trail mirrors the lead in the clock chopping.

The bottom 2 blocks are left open on free throw attempts for the women. They also can go on the release as all college can do.

Anyone else can feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Its a change!

JRutledge Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:41am

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter

From memory, either one can. Depends on how much is going on in the paint.

The Lead has coverage responsibility outside of the 3 point line, below FT line extended. This is another reason why the Lead in the Women's game rotates a lot more.

Quote:

By the book, the first way is probably 'correct.' However, many college officials tend to be a bit looser with their foul reporting mechanics - demonstrating what was done rather than an 'official' signal. This tends to be a matter of personal (and assignor) preference.

Actually the proper mechanic is the closed fist. But that is when you look at the CCA Manual. I do not know that anyone at that level really nitpicks that type of stuff.

Quote:

Nationwide for women's ball - sneaking in to some men's crews.

You see this more when officials are using the Precision Timing System. At least that is what I have noticed. Outside of that I do not see it very often. It also seems like less and less places are using the PTS.

Peace

rockyroad Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:01pm

Actually the CCA manual shows the correct mechanic as being the open hand chop for a "hack" or "hit" signal...keeps it very separate and distinguishable from the Intentional foul signal which is the closed fists...

JRutledge Mon Jan 10, 2005 01:16pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rockyroad
Actually the CCA manual shows the correct mechanic as being the open hand chop for a "hack" or "hit" signal...keeps it very separate and distinguishable from the Intentional foul signal which is the closed fists...
Actually you are right. I thought about it after I stated it. You are exactly right what the CCA Mechanics Manual says. Most officials I know use the fist punching motion. Even on the Men's side. It sells the call more easily if you ask me.

Peace