The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Blood OT (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/17413-blood-ot.html)

BktBallRef Thu Jan 06, 2005 04:22pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
If one team uses a 30 and the other a 60, then both teams get 60 seconds.
Tony,
It's not black and white, but I don't agree with this last little detail.
The team that took the 30 should have their player ready to go in 30 seconds. To allow otherwise would be to encourage a team to make the other coach commit first to what type of TO he is taking.
I can just see the coaches arguing over who is going to have to decide first. Next we'll have to have a rule that says the home team can choose last. Just silly.

Using NFHS material, we covered this at our clinic on Monday night.

It doesn't matter who decides first. The coach can choose to use either TO. If one chooses a 30 and the other uses a 60, then the horn operates on a full TO scenario.

Nevadaref Fri Jan 07, 2005 05:45am

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Tony,
The team that took the 30 should have their player ready to go in 30 seconds. To allow otherwise would be to encourage a team to make the other coach commit first to what type of TO he is taking.
I can just see the coaches arguing over who is going to have to decide first. Next we'll have to have a rule that says the home team can choose last. Just silly.

It doesn't matter who decides first. The coach can choose to use either TO. If one chooses a 30 and the other uses a 60, then the horn operates on a full TO scenario.

That may be the case for your local association, but NC does not make the definitive decisions for the entire NFHS. No offense, Mr. President.
All that I am saying is that just because you guys got together back there and decided to handle it that way, doesn't mean that we can't get together out here and decide to handle it another way.
The NFHS really needs to write a clarification on this, but
until they do, please don't state the NC interpretation of the rule as if it is conclusive. That is all that I am objecting to.

jritchie Fri Jan 07, 2005 09:55am

in our STATE CLINIC....we were told that if they have a full time out that is the one that will be used....but if all they have left is a 30 second t.0. then they can use it.. Do they actually have the choice which one to use?? just wanting to make sure...

Jurassic Referee Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:04am

Quote:

Originally posted by jritchie
in our STATE CLINIC....we were told that if they have a full time out that is the one that will be used....but if all they have left is a 30 second t.0. then they can use it.. Do they actually have the choice which one to use?? just wanting to make sure...
Yup, they can choose either a 60 or a 30, if they've got both left. Their choice.

BktBallRef Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:09pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Tony,

That may be the case for your local association, but NC does not make the definitive decisions for the entire NFHS. No offense, Mr. President.
All that I am saying is that just because you guys got together back there and decided to handle it that way, doesn't mean that we can't get together out here and decide to handle it another way.
The NFHS really needs to write a clarification on this, but
until they do, please don't state the NC interpretation of the rule as if it is conclusive. That is all that I am objecting to.

No need to be an a$$hole, NV.

What I was giving was not a NC interpretation.

If you'll READ the post, we were covering information that came from an NFHS Bulletin.