The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Is it a shooting foul? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/17394-shooting-foul.html)

theboys Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:00am

Varsity boys game last night. A1 drives into the lane. Passes the ball, then, while the ball is in the air, A1 crashes into B1. Offensive foul.

What's the official call for the foul? If B is in the bonus, is it a shooting foul?

thumpferee Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:05am

Quote:

Originally posted by theboys
Varsity boys game last night. A1 drives into the lane. Passes the ball, then, while the ball is in the air, A1 crashes into B1. Offensive foul.

What's the official call for the foul? If B is in the bonus, is it a shooting foul?

Pushing foul on A1. Shooting the bonus free throws.

Case Book 4.19.6 Situation B

ChiliBob Wed Jan 05, 2005 02:24pm

A player control foul can only be called on a play in control of the ball (dribble) or in the act of shooting (airborne shooter crashing into defender). Once there was a pass, control is given up and it becomes a common foul. If B is in bonus, award the FT's. Similar situation on a try. A1 jumps, shoots, returns to the floor and crashes into B1. Since the try (as far as the shooter is concerned) ended once A1 returned to the floor, it is a common foul on A1. If B1 caused the foul after shooter A1 returned to the floor it is also a common foul and no shots are awarded based on the try but rather only if A was in the bonus.

Damian Wed Jan 05, 2005 03:32pm

The correct call is a charge

Same signal as a push. And you will shoot if in the bonus.

Nevadaref Thu Jan 06, 2005 07:16am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChiliBob
A1 jumps, shoots, returns to the floor and crashes into B1. Since the try (as far as the shooter is concerned) ended once A1 returned to the floor, it is a common foul on A1.
CB,
We know what you mean, but to help you clean up the terminology a bit:
I'm sure that you know that the end of the try has nothing at all to do with whether the foul is a common foul or not.
It is solely based upon the concept of the act of shooting as defined in 4-40-1.
So rather than talking about the try ending and attempting to qualify it, just focus on the act of shooting and state that the airborne shooter status ends when A1 returns to the floor (4-1-1), and therefore he is no longer in the act of shooting (4-1-2).
:)

Again right idea, just a better choice of words due to official's jargon.

Nevadaref Thu Jan 06, 2005 07:27am

Re: The correct call is a charge

Quote:

Originally posted by Damian
Same signal as a push. And you will shoot if in the bonus.
Right on, Damian! You are young, but you are really learning your stuff well. You are going to be way ahead of the curve when you reach your mid-twenties.

This is an example of a true block/charge play. Although most people, especially TV announcers, use block/charge when refering to plays in which the call is going to be a blocking foul or a player control foul. (Team control in NCAA) The player with the ball may actually commit a push, hold, charge or some other foul, but it will be reported as a player control foul, unless it is not a common foul. (intentional, flagrant, technical)

Since neither player involved in the crash has the ball in the play described, a player control foul is not possible and the charge will be reported, if the foul is called on the offensive player.

ChuckElias Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:23am

Re: Re: The correct call is a charge

Quote:

Originally posted by Nevadaref
This is an example of a true block/charge play. Although most people, especially TV announcers, use block/charge when refering to plays in which the call is going to be a blocking foul or a player control foul.
Those player control fouls on a drive to the basket are usually still block or charge. The charge is just committed by the player with the ball. So we give the PC signal, instead of the charge signal. I know you knowt this, I just don't want people to think "Oh, that crash on the drive isn't actually a charge". It's a charge (usually), charged to the player in control of the ball.

Quote:

(Team control in NCAA)
It's still a PC foul in NCAA if the contact occurs before the shot is released. (For women, it's also a PC if the contact occurs after the try is released.) It's also a team control foul, obviously, but it's still a PC.

Nevadaref Fri Jan 07, 2005 04:51am

Duh, Chuck, if you had read the sentence that I wrote right after the one you quoted, you would see that we're saying the same thing. ;)

tomegun Fri Jan 07, 2005 05:01am

Nevada, do you work the night shift?

Nevadaref Fri Jan 07, 2005 06:10am

I have tomorrow off, so I'm just up late goofing off. Did four ten hour days Mon-Thurs so that I could work bball on Friday afternoon/evening and then it got cancelled. :(