The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

All three college basketball games on TV right now have no half court line extend all the way across. Instead there is a school logo or some type of design. The DEPaul Demon or the state of Missouri. What if there is a big call to be made using the mid line??
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

If you look very closely, you will likely see that those courts have what is called a shadow line. It is tough to see on TV but the outside edges of the division line do extend through the logo.
Some preseason tournaments and holiday classics do have big sponsor logos that obscure the division line though, so you may be correct afterall.

The official has to make a judgment call is the answer to your question.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

I've seen several schools in my area that don't have a shadow line over the logo. Thankfully, the only backcourt violation I have had in the middle of one of these floors was pretty obvious.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 05:47pm
M.A.S.H.

I actually saw one of these too for the first time. One of the tourneys around here is played on a college floor and their logo is in the middle. Like gostars said, lucky the only backcourt violation that had to be called was very obvious and not even close to the line.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

I know what you mean by the shadow line across the big logo but simply can not see anything like that on some of these big time college basketball courts.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

You are not going to see anything because you are not close enough to see it clearly. I can pretty much guarantee you that there is a line there. Television just does not show that very well.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Boy, I don't know it is Missouri's floor and I have the game TIVO'd on a Plasma flatscreen which allows me to zoom in and there is nothing to see. Wish I could show a picture.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 11:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by ripcord51
Boy, I don't know it is Missouri's floor and I have the game TIVO'd on a Plasma flatscreen which allows me to zoom in and there is nothing to see. Wish I could show a picture.
I do not know for sure, I have not been there. But working basketball for some time now and being around many gyms that have a huge logo in the center, there is almost always a "shadow line" when you look up close. The rules require it at the NCAA level. It is not very easy to see unless you are really close to the court. And that is when you are in the arena, not one TV. I cannot imagine that these big schools do not have any line what so ever. Now I could be wrong, but there has to be something to help officials call violations properly. I have attended the Big Ten Tournament for the last 5 years in both Chicago and Indianapolis and there is a shadow line on those courts with the huge logo in the middle. But you cannot tell until you get close to the court and that is when you are in the arena, not watching it on TV.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's (by NCAA rule*) a technical foul on the home team to not have the line. While I can see some smaller schools / JuCos not re-painting the floor, I can't imagine it happening at a D-1 school -- especially since it's not a new requirement.

(* -- whether it's called or not is a different matter -- but I'm sure there would be *at least* a report at the D-1 level)
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was down on that floor this summer as my kid played on that court in the Show-Me State Games and I didn't even pay attention. I was just soooooo in awe of hoping someday to work a game there or in any gymnasium like it.