The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NBA Rules Question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/17283-nba-rules-question.html)

justacoach Wed Dec 29, 2004 09:12pm

What are the restrictions, if any, for NBA players during a free throw. I saw a game where an offensive player was in the corner and snuck down the baseline and dunked a rebound on a missed shot. Also, how many points did this count for?

Thanks for all responses

TriggerMN Thu Dec 30, 2004 09:52am

Depends on the player. Kobe Bryant can fly in and out of the lane whenever he wants. Role players cannot. As for what the rulebook says, I have no idea for NBA. However, all slam dunks are good for two points, unless the player takes off from behind the arc and slams it. Then it would be 3 points, and I would have seen everything.

Kelvin green Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:28am

NBA Rule 9 section I

A player who does not occupy a free throw lane space must remain behind the three-point line.

The NBA also allows everyone to enter when the ball is released

Kobe was well within the rules to do this and of course with any score inside the 3 point arc would score two points.

It sounds like another person has a jaded opinion about the NBA, making comments about the superstars without understanding the rules. If this were a NF game would you misunderstand or not understand the rules and then make the same blanket comments. What about the NCAA?

ChuckElias Thu Dec 30, 2004 03:00pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Kelvin green
The NBA also allows everyone to enter when the ball is released
Except the shooter?

Quote:

It sounds like another person has a jaded opinion about the NBA, making comments about the superstars without understanding the rules.
There's been quite a bit of that lately, Kelvin. I've been trying to dispel it, but some folks just want to dislike the NBA. And that's ok. They just allow themselves to become like the fans that we make fun of at our HS games.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wouldn't have any problem at all if the FED adopted the NBA ruleset (making adjustments for time of periods, and court dimensions, etc.).

lrpalmer3 Thu Dec 30, 2004 03:11pm

Some refs (that are good enough to work varsity) only work middle school because they hate the way high school games are called.

JRutledge Thu Dec 30, 2004 03:22pm

Come on now.

Quote:

Originally posted by lrpalmer3
Some refs (that are good enough to work varsity) only work middle school because they hate the way high school games are called.
Sure they do. That is what they tell you. ;)

ref2coach Thu Dec 30, 2004 03:43pm

If an offensive player causes contact with a defensive player who has estab-lished a legal position, an offensive foul shall be called and no points may be scored.

The above is copied from the NBA wibsite "Guide for adminstration and application of the rules.

Plese read the above, then watch 10 or more NBA games and then tell me there is not a star / non star difference in how the rules are applied. Think Shaq.

PS2Man Thu Dec 30, 2004 03:51pm

I have watched a lot of NBA games over the years and I do not see any real star behavior by the officials. Stars get calls because they are not only better players, but they get more attention by the defense. I think you need to watch more of Shaq's games with all the defenders hanging all over him and not much is called against the scrubs that are defending him. It is called Advantage-Disadvantage and this is used very much so in the NBA.

ChuckElias Thu Dec 30, 2004 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ref2coach
Plese read the above, then watch 10 or more NBA games and then tell me there is not a star / non star difference in how the rules are applied. Think Shaq.
If you're thinking about "backing down" in the post, that is not a Shaq-issue. That's a style-of-play issue. The NBA has allowed that back-down to be used by any player that is bigger than his defender. It's not just Shaq; it's also any power-forward who gets a point guard on him after a bad defensive switch.

JRutledge Thu Dec 30, 2004 04:44pm

Quote:

If an offensive player causes contact with a defensive player who has estab-lished a legal position, an offensive foul shall be called and no points may be scored.

The above is copied from the NBA wibsite "Guide for adminstration and application of the rules.

Then do not watch the NBA. Problem solved.

Peace

ref2coach Thu Dec 30, 2004 07:03pm

Chuck. Advantage/disadvantage does not explain allowing "backing down". The offensive player is the one committing the foul and gaining the advantage by committing the foul. If the NBA wants "backing down" write it into the rules, failure to enforce the rules causes people to look for a reason the rule is not being enforced, hince the "jaded view".

JRutledge, Kevin and Chuck both slammed triggerMN for the "jaded view" re. a lack of understanding of the rules. I am suppling the rule cite and the example that supports the "jaded view".

My 14 year old son likes to watch certian NBA players, I join him. When he has not asked me to watch a game with him, I do not watch the NBA, for this reason, I much prefer college ball or soccer.

Mark Padgett Thu Dec 30, 2004 07:59pm

Quote:

I much prefer college ball or soccer.
SOCCER!!! SOCCER!!! That's the sport for kids who can't use their hands.

Soccer is almost as euro as FEEBLE - and it's so exciting - sometimes teams even score! :p

ChuckElias Thu Dec 30, 2004 09:01pm

Quote:

Chuck. Advantage/disadvantage does not explain allowing "backing down". The offensive player is the one committing the foul and gaining the advantage by committing the foul.
I agree. I'm not saying that it's supported by rule or interp. I merely said that the league has allowed it to become part of the game across the board, not just for Shaq. If you were to come right out and say that it's detrimental to the game, I would not disagree at all.

ref2coach Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:30am

[QUOTESOCCER!!! SOCCER!!! That's the sport for kids who can't use their hands.

Soccer is almost as euro as FEEBLE - and it's so exciting - sometimes teams even score! :p [/B][/QUOTE]

LOL, Mark I felt the same way when my Son's first sports interest was soccer. Basketball was MY game. I got drug into recreation soccer, asst. coach, then coach. I became a soccer referee to fund attennding, week long, National Soccer coaching courses. That is where ref2coach came from. I found that I enjoyed being a soccer referee so added Basketball.

My Son now plays club and HS soccer, starts on the Freshman Basketball team and Made special teams MVP as a Football kicker.