The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Backcourt or no? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/17259-backcourt-no.html)

jcurtin Tue Dec 28, 2004 08:30pm

Situation that happened today while I was doing a Girls JV Game. I reacted based on what my mentor told me, but I want to make sure...

Team A has possession of the ball in its frontcourt, and A1 is dribbling. B1 bats it away, both players run over to the ball, fighting for possession, then the ball hits off A1's arm and goes into the backcourt. A1 retrieves the ball in the backcourt.

Violation? Could you provide a rules reference, either way?

Thanks

brandan89 Tue Dec 28, 2004 08:32pm

I am going to take a shot on this but I am not 100% sure so dont mark it down in stone. I am going to say it to see if I am right or not.

I would say this is not a violation because no one has control of the ball.

blindzebra Tue Dec 28, 2004 08:33pm

9-9-1 you got it right.

blindzebra Tue Dec 28, 2004 08:35pm

Quote:

Originally posted by brandan89
I am going to take a shot on this but I am not 100% sure so dont mark it down in stone. I am going to say it to see if I am right or not.

I would say this is not a violation because no one has control of the ball.

Incorrect, team A never lost control 4-12-3.

BktBallRef Tue Dec 28, 2004 08:55pm

Quote:

Originally posted by jcurtin
Situation that happened today while I was doing a Girls JV Game. I reacted based on what my mentor told me, but I want to make sure...

Team A has possession of the ball in its frontcourt, and A1 is dribbling. B1 bats it away, both players run over to the ball, fighting for possession, then the ball hits off A1's arm and goes into the backcourt. A1 retrieves the ball in the backcourt.

Violation? Could you provide a rules reference, either way?

Thanks

Yes, it's a violation. What was your call?

9-9-1
A player shall notÂ…
Be the first to touch a ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.

jcurtin Tue Dec 28, 2004 09:05pm

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I called a backcourt violation on Team A. Ironically, I had happened to discuss this same exact situation with my mentor weeks ago (I never encountered it in a game yet - this being my first year).

Team A's coach was furious...but I stood firm in my decision. Glad I got it right.

Jeremy Hohn Thu Dec 30, 2004 08:20pm

First to touch, last to touch is the common analogy to use in this situation..

Nevadaref Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:29pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremy Hohn
First to touch, last to touch is the common analogy to use in this situation..
Seems last to touch, first to touch would be the correct order. :D

Jeremy Hohn Fri Dec 31, 2004 09:18am

Yeah, sorry about that....long holiday weekend callin games...

tjones1 Fri Dec 31, 2004 07:32pm

Re: Thanks

Quote:

Originally posted by jcurtin
Thanks everyone for your responses.

I called a backcourt violation on Team A. Ironically, I had happened to discuss this same exact situation with my mentor weeks ago (I never encountered it in a game yet - this being my first year).

Team A's coach was furious...but I stood firm in my decision. Glad I got it right.

Good call, way to stick with it!