The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Three person mechanics:

A1 drives to the basket. The drive originates in Trail's primary and contact is made between A1 and B1 on the lay-up. Lead sees charge. Trail sees block.

I've read that the Trail has A1 and the call all the way to the basket if it originates in his primary. I've also read that Lead has the call since it was coming toward him.

Both officials come up with a foul, then make eye contact before signaling. Who takes this call?
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

because different people have different ideas here, this is important topic to cover in your pregame.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
because different people have different ideas here, this is important topic to cover in your pregame.
Agreed, especially in three whistle.

Also, when it occurs durning a game take the time to discuss what each of you saw, that will normally tell you who needs to make the call.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
CCA Men's Basketball Officiating Manual 2004-05, page 35: "When officials sound their whistles at approsimately the same time for a foul, the official toward whom the play is coming, usually takes the call."

NFHS 2003-05 Official's Manual page 52: "When a player with the ball starts a drive to the basket from an official's primary area, that official has the player and the ball all the way to the basket."

Difinitely a matter for pregame.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 01:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

If both players started in the Trail's primary in a perfect world it should be the Trail that keeps the call. The Trail saw the beginning, middle and end of the play. The Lead might have seen part of the middle or part of the end. This should be discussed in pregame before you get into this situation on the court. What applies in 2 person does not apply in 3 person.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

I'd give my lead a few seconds to make the call, and if I'm lead I want the call. Mostly because I believe the lead has a much better chance of seeing the defensive player coming into the play. On this play it's all about LGP. If you don't have the defense, you guess on the play.

Blackhawk
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackhawk357
I'd give my lead a few seconds to make the call, and if I'm lead I want the call. Mostly because I believe the lead has a much better chance of seeing the defensive player coming into the play. On this play it's all about LGP. If you don't have the defense, you guess on the play.

Blackhawk
That's not how we do it around here.
We do mostly 3-whistle now...and if the player starts in your primary, you have that player all the way to the basket.
Now...if the T or C miss a big crash...then we pre-game that the L may come up with the call.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

I'm assuming "B1" refers to A1's primary defender. If so, I think Trail keeps this all the way to the hoop. If A1 crashes a secondary defender, Lead can come in to help. But Trail has the best look at the play start to finish.

In the end, though, absolutely something that needs to be addressed in pregame.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
Three person mechanics:

A1 drives to the basket. The drive originates in Trail's primary and contact is made between A1 and B1 on the lay-up. Lead sees charge. Trail sees block.

I've read that the Trail has A1 and the call all the way to the basket if it originates in his primary. I've also read that Lead has the call since it was coming toward him.

Both officials come up with a foul, then make eye contact before signaling. Who takes this call?
Double Whistle get together if you have the same call let Lead take it. If Trail has charge come in strong (especially if you think lead has block) and sell it. In my nape of the neck whoever the play is coming to 95% of the time we let that person have it unless (Using your example) the Trail had a better look. If it's in my primary I'll take it but, if my partner has something different I have no problem letting him/her have it.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I had this situation in a championship BV game last night with a 3 man crew. I was lead. The pass cam into the center just short of the free throw line in the key. As the center backed in he turned and I saw a secondary defense player (B2) close in and block. My partner (center) saw A1 charge into B1 a split second after which was caused by B2's block. We discussed the play and I took the call. Unless it's obvious, a double whistle most always deserves a chat. There really should be no hard and fast rule as to who should take these calls. Generally we hear that it goes to the official where the play is going but, don't live and die (especially die) with that.

[Edited by ChiliBob on Dec 30th, 2004 at 06:17 PM]
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

I totally disagree that the trail has the best look at a b/c call on a drive to the basket. We specifically pregame that the lead should take this call because most of the time it will be a post player that steps in to take the charge. There is no way that the trail can have a good look at the position when he is watching the primary defender as the offensive player drives to the basket. It is very seldom that you will have a b/c call on the initial defender. The dribbler will beat the defender and the crash will come closer to the basket with B2. Think about this situation more and you will come to the same conclusion.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe
I totally disagree that the trail has the best look at a b/c call on a drive to the basket. We specifically pregame that the lead should take this call because most of the time it will be a post player that steps in to take the charge. There is no way that the trail can have a good look at the position when he is watching the primary defender as the offensive player drives to the basket. It is very seldom that you will have a b/c call on the initial defender. The dribbler will beat the defender and the crash will come closer to the basket with B2. Think about this situation more and you will come to the same conclusion.
BigJoe,

I enjoyed your post right up to the last sentence. Then it became condescening.

I agree with others that this should be part of any pregame discussion with your partners.

Here's how we handle this in our neck of the woods. Trail stays with the drive all the way to the hoop if it originated in trail's primary. The lead might take it if the B/C is between A1 and a secondary defender (B2).

A good referee officiates "one play ahead" and so the trail will anticipate the charge and may well have a better look at the play than the lead, even if the B/C is between A1 and B2. It's quite possible that the lead is very honed in an an offball competitive matchup and might not have a good look at the B/C at all.

Around here, trail gets first crack and lead can take the call if he/she has a patient whistle and trail doesn't take that call right away.

Z