The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Here's a good one to think about (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/17247-heres-good-one-think-about.html)

TriggerMN Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:00am

B1 secures a rebound, and is off balance. In an effort to not travel and keep his pivot foot, B1 touches the ball against the floor to help regain his balance (think using the ball with both hands controlling it, instead of using a hand). B1 never lets go of the ball. Does this constitute a dribble, or can B1 now legally dribble?

ChuckElias Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:04am

Perfectly legal and not a dribble. So once he stands back up, he can start a dribble.

FrankHtown Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:12am

4-15-4 (Note 3)is the rule reference

ChrisSportsFan Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:20am

Nevertheless, sure to get some howling from the paid patrons.

Adam Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:44am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Nevertheless, sure to get some howling from the paid patrons.
I don't know why, but I get a kick out of getting these no-calls right when the crowd is howling for a whistle. It makes the game fun for me, I guess. :)

ChrisSportsFan Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:53am

this thread is a good one to get em going and another is the player receiving a pass;; muffed pass that bounces on floor, player controls ball, then begins dribble. Coaches and fans love this no call.

ripcord51 Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:30am

Actually what this thread makes me think about is the opposite. 7/8 grade boys player touches ball to ground and then starts dribble, working with a new partner and he calls travel points to floor like he has "caught' the player touching the ball to floor first. Coaches, fans, nobody in gym says a word. Gets me thinking if I let it go would have got screamed at but that is how things work.

carldog Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:45am

"and another is the player receiving a pass;; muffed pass that bounces on floor, player controls ball, then begins dribble. Coaches and fans love this no call."

Well, yes. A 'muffed' pass that bounces on floor. But the last Varsity boys game I watched had this play: Player leaves his feet slightly, reaches up and catches pass above his head with two hands, on the way down, and in a continuous sweeping motion, he sends it straight down to the floor. Ball bounces straight up, and is caught, controlled, held again with two hands. I guess I understand that to be a dribble. It was controlled to the point where two hands sent it to the floor in just the right way as to allow the same player to gather it back again with two hands. The players next dribble was the violation, I thought, but Ref had a no call.

IMHO I have seen this one missed too frequently, but I would sure like to hear some guidelines from the experienced guys on this board. Does one hand vs two hands make a diference?

Is it pure judgment about 'control' of the ball as it is batted to the floor?

Thanks.

rainmaker Tue Dec 28, 2004 01:35pm

Quote:

Originally posted by carldog

Is it pure judgment about 'control' of the ball as it is batted to the floor?

Yes it is. That's what we get paid the big bucks for.