The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Just got back from doing a boys Freshman tourney game. Coach is chirpinhg at me. Finally I had enough and said to him. "Hey Coach it's Christmas. Don't make me act like Scrooge". The table liked it. Didn't really calm the Coach down but I didn't "Scrooge" him.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

A partner of mine asked two kids if they wanted to spend Christmas on the bench.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

No need to come up with clever sayings to coaches during a game; it only invites oneupmanship replies. Remember you started it.

You have the last word no matter what, so let it go. Just tell him to stop and put your hand up so everyone sees it.

Message delivered.

Happens again, everyone saw you warn him, whack him.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdccpa

No need to come up with clever sayings to coaches during a game; it only invites oneupmanship replies. Remember you started it.

You have the last word no matter what, so let it go. Just tell him to stop and put your hand up so everyone sees it.

Message delivered.

Oh, please. Have some fun while you officiate.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:

Message delivered.

Oh, please. Have some fun while you officiate.
Depends on the situation and the coach. I've said some funny stuff to coaches, but I try not to do it in situations that are call related, unless it is self-deprecating and I have worked several games with this coach's team.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 02:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Message delivered.

If it fits your personality, then be clever. You just have to know who and when to do it. Not everyone is going to be upset, but some will. I have found that if I can get a coach to laugh, it makes the game much smoother. But I do not always try to get them to laugh because the situation does not call for it. You have to do what fits you, not someone else.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down And you're worried about not having the same shoes as your partner?

Quote:

Message delivered.

Nothing wrong with using humor to diffuse a situation. It's not like gordon was being a smartass.

Lighten up, partner. You're taking this stuff WAY to seriously.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 08:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

I don't think you should ever say anything sarcastic or humorous to a coach. Your job is to call the game, not be a comedian.

Yeah - and some pigs just flew past my window.
Old Sun Dec 26, 2004, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
I don't think you should ever say anything sarcastic or humorous to a coach. Your job is to call the game, not be a comedian.

Yeah - and some pigs just flew past my window.
I can't tell you when it's appropriate to "to be witty or use humor to difuse a situation" I just have a feel for it and most of the time it works for me. I just don't take myself too seriously. Life is just to short if you can't have some fun. Especialy with underclass games.
Old Mon Dec 27, 2004, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

I believe in life, business and in reffing. you need to choose your spots wisely but there is a time to be serious and time to be funny. I know some people who live way to much of their life without humor and to me that seems miserable. If you're one of those people who don't laugh much and you're OK with that, fine. But for me, I enjoy humor. I do agree that humor is not appropriate right after a big time bang-bang call.