The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Moving Up! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/17157-moving-up.html)

Stripes33 Tue Dec 21, 2004 02:08pm

What's the best way to go about getting higher level games? I'm a fourth year official with varsity experience. I've had nothing but good feedback on my work. In our state there are a small number of assignors and our association does little to help. You are responsible for getting your own games, which I do (66). But, I'm having real trouble getting AD's to move me up. I'm currently looking into some camps this spring with hopes some connections can be made. I know time has to be put in but I really feel I'm ready. Also, another issue I've run into is this good-ol-boy network and it relly drives me crazy. I see guys with less experience doing games they have no business doing because there buddy got them in. Any advise? Just venting!!!

tjones1 Tue Dec 21, 2004 02:22pm

Not sure the best road. But maybe getting a crew and getting an evaluator to come and grade you. You might want to try breaking your ice at a smaller school (maybe where 2-man is still worked), it's a little harder but you've got to start somewhere. Other than that, just catching a break. Keep working hard and doing the things you do and you'll move up! Time is everything :)
Happy Holidays all

Back In The Saddle Tue Dec 21, 2004 02:23pm

Assigners/ADs are just people. And most people value a recommendation from a trusted colleague pretty highly. So, as part of your bid to improve, find a well-connected friend or mentor who can give you a timely recommendation or two. From what I've seen, nobody moves up very far in this business, ready or not, without somebody opening a door for them.

Good luck!

zebraman Tue Dec 21, 2004 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Stripes33
What's the best way to go about getting higher level games? I'm a fourth year official with varsity experience. I've had nothing but good feedback on my work. In our state there are a small number of assignors and our association does little to help. You are responsible for getting your own games, which I do (66). But, I'm having real trouble getting AD's to move me up. I'm currently looking into some camps this spring with hopes some connections can be made. I know time has to be put in but I really feel I'm ready. Also, another issue I've run into is this good-ol-boy network and it relly drives me crazy. I see guys with less experience doing games they have no business doing because there buddy got them in. Any advise? Just venting!!!
When I was our association's board president, I would say that 75% of complaints were just like this one. I'm not saying that to tell you that you're wrong, just that there are a lot of officials who feel the same way.

1) One thing I have found is that a lot of our officials have a hard time giving constructive criticism face-to-face. In a way it's good because it means that we are "positive people" and that the glass is half full rather than half empty. The bad side is that I had some officials rated near the bottom of our ratings list who seldom got any feedback that they could use to help them improve.

2) Even though we had a ratings system that determines how games are assigned, our assignor was given a little leeway to go "outside" of that system if an official had improved dramatically in the view of some of the more respected officials in our group. Get yourself a mentor. Find a veteran that you really like and respect (as a person <b> and </b> as an official) and tell him that you'd like his help in moving up. Not only will he give you good feedback, but maybe he'll put a good word in for you to the assignors if he feels you are better than the games you are currenlty getting.

3) You've already mentioned camps which is a great idea. Camp clinicians won't be afraid to tell you exactly what they think you need to work on in order to improve.

Z

thumpferee Tue Dec 21, 2004 02:30pm

In other words...kiss ***!

zebraman Tue Dec 21, 2004 02:32pm

Quote:

Originally posted by thumpferee

Most people can sense an asskisser a mile away and it is not a help. There is a big difference between kissing *** and being able to get along with your peers.

Z

rainmaker Tue Dec 21, 2004 02:35pm

Be sure your assignors know you're available for an emergency, and then be available. Lots of folks get that first break because of a last-minute fill-in where they were able to show their stuff.

Also, you might ask the assignors to come and watch at a specific game. This impresses them with your confidence and shows what you can do. Then ask for critique and what needs improvement. Show that you're coachable, and able to adjust to what they like.

If you know any of the big dogs personally, ask them for honest critique and a good recommendation to this or that assignor.

These are all things that have worked for people that I know.

Robmoz Tue Dec 21, 2004 02:37pm

Patience is always the key but......

you could be proactive in facilitating your growth by trying the following:
  • Attend camps sponsored by the assignors in your area
  • Submit rating reminder cards to your AD's/V Coaches/JV coaches in an effort to have them gauge your skills
  • Introduce yourself to the assignor and offer all of your contact information personally, let hime put a face to the name
  • Hook up with some veteran officials (good 'ol boys) that do get the games you would like and invite them to come evaluate you for a reference that can be presented to the AD's or assignors
  • Directly ask for any evaluation assignments, offer to work scrimmages, or invite them to some of your games so that they can make an informed decision
  • Keep in regular contact with the assignors and let them know your availability and be ready for last minute phone calls (When I first started out I would call multiple assignors every week to check in for any last minute games if I had a free night that week. I may have been a pest but it paid off very quickly as I became the guy they could count on to fill in when needed).
  • Join your local association and become active in it or be sure to attend all the meetings/gatherings
  • Hire an agent
  • Vote Republican
  • Send gifts!

thumpferee Tue Dec 21, 2004 02:43pm

Quote:

Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:

Originally posted by thumpferee

Most people can sense an asskisser a mile away and it is not a help. There is a big difference between kissing *** and being able to get along with your peers.

Z

I hear ya! Unfortunately what I have been accustomed to is it is who you know, and not what you know.

As you said, "Find a veteran that you really like and respect (as a person and as an official) and tell him that you'd like his help in moving up. Not only will he give you good feedback, but maybe he'll put a good word in for you to the assignors if he feels you are better than the games you are currenlty getting."

Maybe we just have different philosophies on what azz kissing is!

There was Pun intended in my original post!

Robmoz Tue Dec 21, 2004 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally posted by zebraman

Most people can sense an asskisser a mile away and it is not a help. There is a big difference between kissing @ss and being able to get along with your peers.

Z
But there is a fine line between confident self-promotion and unabashed arrogance. Get to know the decision-makers on a professional level (using all of the positive means offered in these posts) before you stoop to any brown-nose tactics that would be sniffed out as something less than sincere.

JRutledge Tue Dec 21, 2004 02:52pm

Dude, it is your fourth year. Take your time first. Rome was not built in a day.

If you want to get the bigger games, you have to prove yourself at the lesser games first. And then you have to get an opportunity by the right person or make yourself known to others by being a good official and not messing up.

It is a process. For some it is quicker, for others it is much longer. In order to be in the loop, you have to prove that you belong in the loop by what you do on the court. If you cannot do that it is going to be difficult to get to the next level of games.

Peace

thumpferee Tue Dec 21, 2004 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Robmoz

• Submit rating reminder cards to your AD's/V Coaches/JV coaches in an effort to have them gauge your skills
  • Introduce yourself to the assignor and offer all of your contact information personally, let hime put a face to the name
  • Hook up with some veteran officials (good 'ol boys) that do get the games you would like and invite them to come evaluate you for a reference that can be presented to the AD's or assignors
  • Directly ask for any evaluation assignments, offer to work scrimmages, or invite them to some of your games so that they can make an informed decision
  • Keep in regular contact with the assignors and let them know your availability and be ready for last minute phone calls (When I first started out I would call multiple assignors every week to check in for any last minute games if I had a free night that week. I may have been a pest but it paid off very quickly as I became the guy they could count on to fill in when needed).
  • Join your local association and become active in it or be sure to attend all the meetings/gatherings
  • Hire an agent
  • Vote Republican
  • Send gifts!

IOW=Kiss ***! LOL

You said it JRut, prove yourself. Nobody can hold you back if you prove you are capable. Coaches and AD's will even request you!

[Edited by thumpferee on Dec 21st, 2004 at 03:01 PM]

Back In The Saddle Tue Dec 21, 2004 03:16pm

Quote:

• Hire an agent
  • <font color='red'>Vote Republican</font>
  • Send gifts!

I think you're onto something here. If we can get enough sports officials to vote as a block, we could make some real changes in this world! We could pass legislation requiring coaches, parents and sportscasters to pass a rules exam. We could demand "sports officials' lanes" be added to roadways in congested areas. We could bring back the ducking stool and the stocks for mis-behaving coaches!

thumpferee Tue Dec 21, 2004 03:50pm

Quote:

Suck up!

Really Suck up!

Kiss azz!

Kiss azz!

Kiss azz!

Very good!
  • Hire an agent

You must be one helluva ref!
  • Vote Republican

Not kissin azz, you are an azz! pun intended
  • Send gifts!

Kissin azz!

JRutledge Tue Dec 21, 2004 04:10pm

thumpferee,

So what you are saying is that you are sucking up because you attend a camp that an assignor might be in attendance? Or you are suck up because you introduce yourself to someone that might know someone in the officiating hierarchy?

So if I am in business and I go to a trade show and meet others that might have a product that will make my business better, am I a suck up because I meet someone that might help me? Or better yet, I would be considered a suck up if I meet someone that might be the head of a company or hire people in a company that I would like to work for?

What gives?