The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Timing Question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/17150-timing-question.html)

lrpalmer3 Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:14pm

I blow the whistle for a violation (NFHS) and immediately look at the clock to see 1.3 seconds on the clock. Timer allows the clock to run down and the horn sounds.

Do I:

1. Put all 1.3 seconds back on the clock? Or,
2. Allow for 1 second of timer delay and only put 0.3 seconds on the clock?

bob jenkins Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally posted by lrpalmer3
I blow the whistle for a violation (NFHS) and immediately look at the clock to see 1.3 seconds on the clock. Timer allows the clock to run down and the horn sounds.

Do I:

Put 1.3 back.

If the timer had stopped with .3 or more, leave the clock where it was stopped.

thumpferee Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:36pm

Quote:

Do I:

I would think since you had direct knowledge of how much time was left, you would put 1.3 back on the clock.

ref18 Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:36pm

Game's over :cool:

Dudly Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ref18
How do you justify this?

blindzebra Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:54pm

Put 1.3 back CB 5.10.1.B.

If, as Bob said, the clock is stopped at .3 or above you leave it, under lag time CB 5.10.1.D.

[Edited by blindzebra on Dec 21st, 2004 at 01:15 PM]

Jurassic Referee Tue Dec 21, 2004 01:02pm

Quote:

Might be wise to read casebook play 5.10.1SitD. Might change your answer.

blindzebra Tue Dec 21, 2004 01:15pm

Quote:

Only for an official's error, we can fix a timer's error when we have definite information.

The official saw the clock as they whistled, that is definite info. Now had the timer stopped the clock a second or less AFTER that definite info, then lag time factors into the situation.

IREFU2 Tue Dec 21, 2004 01:17pm

I concur, put time back on the clock.

tjones1 Tue Dec 21, 2004 03:04pm

No question, put time on the clock.

DownTownTonyBrown Tue Dec 21, 2004 04:19pm

Signature

Quote:

I need a catchy signature
I think you may have found your signature line!
:D

ref18 Tue Dec 21, 2004 04:23pm

OK so lag time only works for one second. If it's more than a second even .3 we put time back. I think I've got it.

blindzebra Tue Dec 21, 2004 04:33pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BushRef
Quote:

Do I:

Depends. What quarter and what's the score. If it's a 20 point blow, I ain't touching the clock. If it's the end of the 4th and more then a "2 possession lead," I've also got nothing. Those kind of "game management" issues would play into my decision.

Yeah by all means, let's not get it right. Lord knows we all work with experienced timers, and nobody EVER has a game with a timer that may not know what they are doing. But why should I care that the next officials might have the same error happen in a 1 point game the next time.;)

ChuckElias Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:16am

Quote:

If it's a 20 point blow, I ain't touching the clock.
What if it's a 20 point blow-out in the last game of the season and the team's leading scorer is stuck on 998 points for the season?

Those 1.3 seconds might not be important to you, but you never know if they're important to the players or coaches.

Dan_ref Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:33am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

If it's a 20 point blow, I ain't touching the clock.
What if it's a 20 point blow-out in the last game of the season and the team's leading scorer is stuck on 998 points for the season?

Those 1.3 seconds might not be important to you, but you never know if they're important to the players or coaches.

I agree but we don't need to rationalize doing the right thing.

There was a timing mistake, it needs to be fixed regardless of the score. Do your job & put the time back on the clock. Period.