The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Officials Jurisdiction (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/17124-officials-jurisdiction.html)

IREFU2 Mon Dec 20, 2004 09:22am

There is a great article in the Referee Magazine this month about Officials Jurisdiction. The most important thing in this article explain when you are suppose to be on the court and how to administer technical fouls due to mishaps during warmups. If you have the magazine, read play 3 regarding A6 dunking during warmups at the 32 minute mark and then A8 dunks and hangs on the rim at the 18 minute mark. High School Officials Jurisdiction start when we arrive on the court. They arrived about 35 minutes before the game on the court. So according to the rule book, A6 is charged a direct technical and A8 is charged with is hit with two direct technicals plus disqualification. Team A's coach get the night off for the three indirect technical fouls that are charged to him.. Team B gets 6 free throws to start the game, plus the ball.

Has anyone every had this happen??????

PS - If you dont subscribe to this magazine, it would be a good tool to do so! Merry Christmas everyone!

Mark Dexter Mon Dec 20, 2004 09:52am

I've had it happen - A1, A2, and A3 all dunk in warmups then, after I call the T's, B1 dunks. False double foul - 6 shots for B, 2 shots for A, A's ball.

Had it been a high school game, A's coach would be gone. I have heard stories (possibly urban legends) about players who were upset with their coach, so the first three in the warmup line dunk . . .

ChuckElias Mon Dec 20, 2004 02:47pm

What are the officials doing on the court 35 minutes before tip-off?!?!?! We don't even do that in college. 15 minutes before tip for HS, 30 minutes for NCAAM.

zebraman Mon Dec 20, 2004 03:00pm

Quote:

Originally posted by IREFU2
There is a great article in the Referee Magazine this month about Officials Jurisdiction. The most important thing in this article explain when you are suppose to be on the court and how to administer technical fouls due to mishaps during warmups. If you have the magazine, read play 3 regarding A6 dunking during warmups at the 32 minute mark and then A8 dunks and hangs on the rim at the 18 minute mark. High School Officials Jurisdiction start when we arrive on the court. They arrived about 35 minutes before the game on the court. So according to the rule book, A6 is charged a direct technical and A8 is charged with is hit with two direct technicals plus disqualification. Team A's coach get the night off for the three indirect technical fouls that are charged to him.. Team B gets 6 free throws to start the game, plus the ball.

PS - If you dont subscribe to this magazine, it would be a good tool to do so! Merry Christmas everyone!

By rule, I suppose you could give a T to A8 for dunking and another one for hanging on the rim. To me, you'd be just fine (and even better off) for just giving one technical foul. Remember that articles in Referee magazine are not the gospel.

Z

IREFU2 Mon Dec 20, 2004 03:16pm

I know, but I thought I would share it with the group.

Forksref Mon Dec 20, 2004 05:44pm

Thanks for sharing. I am looking forward to my first T for dunking in girls warmups. :)

Back In The Saddle Mon Dec 20, 2004 06:38pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Forksref
Thanks for sharing. I am looking forward to my first T for dunking in girls warmups. :)
Had a guy just the other day that was dunking in girls' warmups. Lovely shade of pink. Went well with his shoes too ;)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Dec 20, 2004 09:03pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
What are the officials doing on the court 35 minutes before tip-off?!?!?! We don't even do that in college. 15 minutes before tip for HS, 30 minutes for NCAAM.

Chuck:

I remember the first men's college game I ever officiated. It was November 1993, and it was the first time I had been on the court 30 min. before game time in about 10 years. And boy was I bored. I didn't know whether to scratch my nose or scratch my tuchus. I really don't know why the men don't join NFHS and NCAA Women's in going to 15 min. before game time.

MTD, Sr.

ChuckElias Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:27pm

Mark, I agree with you. It's really silly and completely unnecessary to have 3 officials on the floor for 30 minutes, even if no teams are present.

I think the NCAAW guideline is that one official must be on the floor 30 minutes before tip if either team is present. But if the teams go back to the locker rooms, the officials can also leave.

Forksref Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:03pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:

Had a guy just the other day that was dunking in girls' warmups. Lovely shade of pink. Went well with his shoes too ;)

Was in in Massachusetts?

rainmaker Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:43am

Quote:

So, you're planning to move up to the WNBA?

TimTaylor Tue Dec 21, 2004 01:49am

Quote:

Originally posted by IREFU2

Not exactly, but last Friday the varsity boys game that followed my JV game started with T's being shot by both teams for dunking during pregame warmups...and both coaches seatbelted. One of the teams involved is currently ranked #2 in the state - they really should have known better.

bob jenkins Tue Dec 21, 2004 08:51am

Quote:

Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:

Didn't we just have a thread on this? If a Boy's Varsity player dunks during warmups of the Girl's JV game, but is waring the team uniform, do you issue one T for the dunk and another for the player not being in the book? ;)