The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

This website can be an awesome vehicle to share
ideas and to help to educate.

I visit often to learn myself and I've referred many others to come here to learn how to be a better official.

I just wish that some of your subscribers (JR) would be more positive, less sarcastic, and stay on topic.

I just read through the thread about running into the coach
who was out of his box and to T or not to T.
It was a good question and the dialog was good also.

I can't believe how this discourse was ruined by the same guy who ruins many of your thought provoking threads.

I will continue to send people here, but with a caveat:
try to ignore those who continually turn good threads into personal attacks, sarcastic jabs, and who can't stay on the subject at hand.

Just my $.02 worth.
But I'm sure that many will agree.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TXMATTHEW05
Thumbs down Crap!

What a complete waste of time and energy. Who do you think you are?

You just wasted precious space by opening this thread. Fortunately, we can tune out the howler monkeys.

[Edited by TXMATTHEW05 on Dec 17th, 2004 at 11:20 PM]
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

I have replied to you directly.

Sorry that you have that opinion.
I have just replied to you directly.

I will not get into a public pissing contest with
a high school kid on an officiating forum.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Good to see that you are the epitomoe of maturity. Instead of e-mailing the administrator directly in regards to your personal conflict with Jurassic Referee, you instead make a post trying to incite [apparently yet again] a fight.

Hey, what do I know though? I'm just a high school kid that's been to ten countries, 38 states, accepted to the University of North Carolina and have attended numerous programs such as the Presidential Classroom Scholars Program, Future World Leaders Summit, Legislators' School for Youth Leadership Development, North Carolina Student Redistricting Assembly, North Carolina Governor's Page Program, North Carolina Youth Legislative Assembly, North Carolina Teen Summit...among others.

But that doesn't count for anything on knowing when to just swallow pride, eh?

That's all.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 12:20am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by TXMATTHEW05
Good to see that you are the epitomoe of maturity. Instead of e-mailing the administrator directly in regards to your personal conflict with Jurassic Referee, you instead make a post trying to incite [apparently yet again] a fight.

Hey, what do I know though? I'm just a high school kid that's been to ten countries, 38 states, accepted to the University of North Carolina and have attended numerous programs such as the Presidential Classroom Scholars Program, Future World Leaders Summit, Legislators' School for Youth Leadership Development, North Carolina Student Redistricting Assembly, North Carolina Governor's Page Program, North Carolina Youth Legislative Assembly, North Carolina Teen Summit...among others.

But that doesn't count for anything on knowing when to just swallow pride, eh?

That's all.

Our two sons are 11 (6th grade) and 14 (9th grade). They are straight A students in all honors classes. They are also above average athletes in more that one sport. And they also know that in the vast majority of interactions with adults, children are like assistant coaches, they are to be seen and not heard. And your most recent post is one that should not be heard.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

thank you

Thanks, I agree.

BTW I did send TXMat a private email
right after his first reply.

Sorry that my post illicited the type of response
that it did.

I think that overall: officialforum is awesome!
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Barry --

Welcome back! I've been missing you and a couple of others who used to post here fairly regularly.

In JR's defense, we've been fighting off a lot of trolls lately and JR has gotten a little tetchy, I think. He (and a couple of others) get frustrated when someone asks a question and then argues with the answer. Also, he's got a crotchety old geezer image to uphold, and I think he carries it a little far sometimes. But after all, if he's too gentle, who knows what people would think? At least he's an equal opportunity flamer, though. He'll lash out at anyone who he thinks is out of line, troll, senior member or otherwise. It's just his idea of being PC -- treat everyone equally badly.

-- juulie downs
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

It's all about learning....

Rainmaker

Thanks for the welcome back.

I know that things on this board can be very frustrating,
but tell the sarcastic ones (you know who) to please
"pick your spots".

BTW I just saw a John Wooden special on KPBS w/Bill Walton.
It was really good stuff and I thought that the smart asses on this board might do well by considering:

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

And here's one by Mr Walton: "There's no such thing as a minor operation" when it's you that they're operating on.

PS For anyone wanting a copy of "The Most Misunderstood Rules", they can email a request to me at [email protected].
It's not anywhere near as "important" as Mr.Wooden's Pyramid of Success, but I'm not nearly as well educated or reflective as the man.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: It's all about learning....

Quote:
Originally posted by bossref
BTW I just saw a John Wooden special on KPBS w/Bill Walton.
It was really good stuff and I thought that the smart asses on this board might do well by considering:

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

And here's one by Mr Walton: "There's no such thing as a minor operation" when it's you that they're operating on.
Barry -- Bill Walton doesn't have a lot of credibility around here. And Wooden was indeed a great coach but didn't know much about refereeing. I don't think you need to spend a lot of time worrying about the "smart asses" on this board. They do pretty well taking care of themselves.

juulie
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 11:00am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bossref

I just wish that some of your subscribers (JR) would be more positive, less sarcastic, and stay on topic.

I will continue to send people here, but with a caveat:
try to ignore those who continually turn good threads into personal attacks, sarcastic jabs, and who can't stay on the subject at hand.

Couldn't agree with you more, Barry. You try to discuss rules, and then some spammer shows up trying to peddle some snake-oil medicine instead. Tsk, tsk, tsk. Take a look at this guy, for instance:

http://www.officialforum.com/printth...?threadid=5396

http://www.officialforum.com/thread/5395

http://www.officialforum.com/thread/8940

http://www.officialforum.com/thread/8941

I particularly like the ones where MUSCLEREF testifies as to how great the ster..oops- health cream is. You may wanna try to get MUSCLEREF to cut back a little on his "cream" usage though. Might help those little rages of his a little. That's what the people at BALCO say anyway, I hear.

Btw, I really did like the "most misunderstood rules" from the guy's web site that were posted in the one thread. Seemed kinda funny though that a coupla of them were really misunderstood. Do ya think that maybe because they were wrong might have a been a factor in that "misunderstanding"?

Btw, another little thought-- isn't this whole thread that you started a "personal attack" too? Just a thought.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. -

That's great that your children are that successful in their academic and athletic careers.

I'm going to have to disagree with your position, however. Perhaps you feel that children should just conform, and keep their mouth shut.

I however, think otherwise. Nobody made history by keeping their mouth shut, and I am more than willing to call a spade a spade. Political correctness is killing this country.

Again, my congratulations on your successful children - I'm sure they will go far