The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 16, 2001, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Last night we had a 7th & 8th grader playoff, on overtime, team A is up by 2, 2 sec. left on the clock ball goes outbounce, team B's ball under there shooting basket, team B inbounds ball, player catches ball but fumbles it, finally he get control of the ball but the clock never starts, as the player passes to team mate they started the clock, keep in mind that about 3 seconds has passed by, that what my partner and I had, as player catches turns and shoots we blow our whistles and buzzer comes on, basket goes in, but we wave the basket off and called it a game. Player made the basket before the buzzer went off but that was because the clock was started late.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2001, 09:19am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruben Trinidad
Last night we had a 7th & 8th grader playoff, on overtime, team A is up by 2, 2 sec. left on the clock ball goes outbounce, team B's ball under there shooting basket, team B inbounds ball, player catches ball but fumbles it, finally he get control of the ball but the clock never starts, as the player passes to team mate they started the clock, keep in mind that about 3 seconds has passed by, that what my partner and I had, as player catches turns and shoots we blow our whistles and buzzer comes on, basket goes in, but we wave the basket off and called it a game. Player made the basket before the buzzer went off but that was because the clock was started late.
Nice going, Ruben!
Old Fri Feb 16, 2001, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Did you recognize the clock had not started and then started
your own count? If yes, good call

Did the fans let you know the clock had not started and you realized too much time had passed? If yes, review your end of game mechanics.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2001, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Angry Bad call

I was a fan, at that game and I think if the officals knew the clock was not running, they should have stopped the game and put the 2 seconds back on the clock. They had been doing that all night because the score keeper/clock starter did that a few times through out the game, so they would restart the play over. I think it was a unfair call to team B, which cost them the game.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2001, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

If you knew the time, i.e. you counted in your head - good call.

we can and should correct obvious timing errors we know about.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2001, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Bad call

Quote:
Originally posted by TK
I was a fan, at that game and I think if the officals knew the clock was not running, they should have stopped the game and put the 2 seconds back on the clock. They had been doing that all night because the score keeper/clock starter did that a few times through out the game, so they would restart the play over. I think it was a unfair call to team B, which cost them the game.
Hmmm, maybe you're trolling but under the rules the
officials do not have the authority to put time back on in
this case. There's only 1 case I can think of where a
"do-over" is allowed, and this ain't it! Ruben & his
partner got this one right and it most certainly didn't
cost anyone anything.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2001, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TK
I think it was a unfair call to team B, which cost them the game.
If there were only 2.2 seconds left and they allowed 3 to go by, how did this cost B the game? They had their alotted time and failed to score. The only unfair thing would have been a second chance for B. The team can't be clock watching with 2.2 seconds left. They have to try a quick hitter that gets them a shot in 2 seconds, and either make it or don't. That is a low percentage play, and giving them a second chance doubles their odds of winning for no apparent reason. Great call.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2001, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TK
I was a fan....I think it was a unfair call
In case the average fan least forget, there is a reason why we wear the stripes. We spend hours upon studying the rules, attending camps, clinics, meetings, and the time before games to make ourselves better and to ensure when something bizarre like this happens, we are able to stick the call. Oh yeah, we have to pass exams, sometimes yearly depending on the state to have the priviledge of carrying our cards.

Like we have said to the children who come on this board, the rules do not tell us to do what is "fair". They give us specific procedures to follow, and we are not allowed to deviate from those procedures. You can agree with them, or disagre with them, but they are what they are and neihter you or I can change it.

And if you think no one will care if we bend the rules to make things fair, ask those SWAC officials if it is worth it.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2001, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

The officials did the right thing! To expand on (Brian Watson's post) During a game we have to worry about half a dozen different counts, every situation that causes a violation, foul, game administration etc. etc. When you coumpound that with having to worry about the clock.
Bottom line the officials in my humble opinion "took charge in the last 2.2 seconds of the game and were fair and just in their administration of the rules".

Good Call

AK ref SE
Old Fri Feb 16, 2001, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TK
The rules do not allow us to do what you "think" should be done. We have specific rules that we have to follow and replaying is not allowed by those rules.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Feb 17, 2001, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
That is a low percentage play, and giving them a second chance doubles their odds of winning for no apparent reason. Great call.
Technically, it doesn't double their odds/chances. (Sorry, the brain is working too much )
Old Sat Feb 17, 2001, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

This is NOT intended to be a personal attack, just a healthy analysis....

Quote:
Originally posted by TK
I was a fan, at that game and I think....
OK Fan, What is the rule reference for your "Thinking"?

Quote:
Originally posted by TK .... I think it was a unfair call to team B, which cost them the game.
Fan, did Team B make ALL their shots throughout the game? I would be willing to guess that they did not make all their Lay-ups. Considering this, Why do you put the blame on the officials? It is your team's game to win, not the official's game to "blow".

My food for thought on this topic