The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Handling coaches (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/17077-handling-coaches.html)

SteveM Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:56pm

8th grade game last night and visiting coach has been dropping hints during the first half that we're not doing a good job.

Before the second half starts I come out on the court shortly before my parter, he's chatting with a friend who's been watching the game, and the visiting coach walks across the court with his dry erase board and starts asking me why we, or in this case I, haven't been calling illegal screens.
The first thing I could think to say was "difference of opion" and of course he didn't accept that. Anyway, my parter appears and the coach asks him the same question and he gets basically the same answer. He, the coach walks away and my partner who has worked D1 for 4 years tells me the best way to handle the situation after he leaves which I'll post later on. After the game, visiting team lost by one, visiting coach enters our dressing room of which door had been left open and begins to tells us we didn't call enough fouls etc., etc., etc. Our response was of course, please leave.

My question to you veteran officals is how would you have handled the half time visit by the coach and then the end of game visit by the same coach.

tjones1 Fri Dec 17, 2004 01:11pm

Half Time: "Coach, I'm not seeing anything but I'll be glad to keep looking."

End of game: Get your game management, get him out of there and write a letter to your State.

Kelvin green Fri Dec 17, 2004 01:18pm

1/2 time response

Coach i have been watching off ball and have seen the plays, if there was something there I would have called it but will watch harder the second half

End of game

You do not belong in my locker room. The game is over, There will be a report filed for your misconduct here! We will not talk to you.

8th grade game what the %^** is this guy thinking?

wizard Fri Dec 17, 2004 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally posted by SteveM
He, the coach walks away and my partner who has worked D1 for 4 years tells me the best way to handle the situation after he leaves which I'll post later on.

What did your partner say?

Snake~eyes Fri Dec 17, 2004 02:37pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Kelvin green
1/2 time response

Coach i have been watching off ball and have seen the plays, if there was something there I would have called it but will watch harder the second half

End of game

This is the response I would have used.

SteveM Fri Dec 17, 2004 02:38pm

His reply was to take the visiting coach to the table, get the home coach and then let the visiting coach state his case. My obvious reaction to this was so the home coach didn't get the idea that we might be influenced in such a way as to put his team at a disadvantage.