The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   A first for me last night... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/17030-first-me-last-night.html)

whistleone Wed Dec 15, 2004 02:33pm

Opening tip of a girls JV tournament game. Jumpers tap the ball to a Home player who fumbles the ball. V jumper and H player tie up the ball for a jump ball. After a "what the heck do we do now" moment, I quickly "Google" my internal case book and come up with the answer. The two players involved in the tie up are my new jumpers. Of course, it had to be the V jumper and the shortest player on the floor from the Home team. Imagine the H player's surprise when I tell her that she now has to participate in the jump ball. We all shared a few chuckles and then by way of Murphy's law the new tap went to the Home team.

Jayzer Wed Dec 15, 2004 04:30pm

Quote:

Originally posted by whistleone
Opening tip of a girls JV tournament game. Jumpers tap the ball to a Home player who fumbles the ball. V jumper and H player tie up the ball for a jump ball. After a "what the heck do we do now" moment, I quickly "Google" my internal case book and come up with the answer. The two players involved in the tie up are my new jumpers. Of course, it had to be the V jumper and the shortest player on the floor from the Home team. Imagine the H player's surprise when I tell her that she now has to participate in the jump ball. We all shared a few chuckles and then by way of Murphy's law the new tap went to the Home team.
I would say that was the right call.

mick Wed Dec 15, 2004 04:49pm

Quote:

whistleone,
So..., you are saying that after H fumbled, neither team had even momentary control, but that V-jumper and H-little <U>grabbed the loose ball simlutaneously</U>.

Very hard to imagine that one player did not have the ball for some miniscule time before the other player tied her up.
;)

mick

whistleone Wed Dec 15, 2004 05:17pm

Quote:

whistleone,
So..., you are saying that after H fumbled, neither team had even momentary control, but that V-jumper and H-little <U>grabbed the loose ball simlutaneously</U>.

Very hard to imagine that one player did not have the ball for some miniscule time before the other player tied her up.
;)

mick [/B]
Yep. That's what I'm saying.

rainmaker Wed Dec 15, 2004 05:56pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Very hard to imagine that one player did not have the ball for some miniscule time ...
minUscule, not minIscule. The root is similar to Minus, not Mini.

Okay, I've got the OC demon back in it's box now.

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 15, 2004 06:19pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Very hard to imagine that one player did not have the ball for some miniscule time ...

Then...... why wasn't he called MinusMe instead of MiniMe, SmartyPants?

mick Wed Dec 15, 2004 06:55pm

Trust your partner.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Quote:

<I>miniscule
adj : very small; "a minuscule kitchen"; "a minuscule amount of rain fell" [syn: minuscule]

See also: [minuscule] </I>

mick

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 15, 2004 07:04pm

Re: Trust your partner.

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Quote:

<I>miniscule
adj : very small; "a minuscule kitchen"; "a minuscule amount of rain fell" [syn: minuscule]

mick
<b>minus</b>- a negative quantity.

How can you have the ball for a negative amount of time?

rainmaker Wed Dec 15, 2004 08:27pm

Re: Trust your partner.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

<I>miniscule

mick
I can't both (1) answer this very shallow and meaningless retort, and (2) appear to be flexible and modern. So just forget I said anything. I'm going over here to my corner to commune with my maiden-aunt-muse by myself. Sheez, where is I. M. Shirley Wright when one needs her?

mick Wed Dec 15, 2004 08:40pm

Re: Re: Trust your partner.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

<I>miniscule

mick
<b>minus</b>- a negative quantity.

How can you have the ball for a negative amount of time?
Yes JR, you saw that the entire time.
Most of us were not talking about the negative, but rather the very small.

Your glowing non-negatives are so important to this thread.
mick