The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IAABO_Ref
At our meeting Sunday morning we were asked what we thought of something that have made it to the NFHS basketball rules committee. One of them was starting the game with a coin toss rather then a jump ball. Last time I checked basketball was still considered an athletic event right.

What's your thoughts?
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 11:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Here we go

I ref in Iowa, and girls here start the game with a coin toss. I prefer the jump ball. It's an exciting aspect of the game, and taking it away would be a bad thing, IMO.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 11:02pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by IAABO_Ref
At our meeting Sunday morning we were asked what we thought of something that have made it to the NFHS basketball rules committee. One of them was starting the game with a coin toss rather then a jump ball. Last time I checked basketball was still considered an athletic event right.

What's your thoughts?

IAABO_Ref:

Are you in Peter Webb's board?

If my memory serves me correct, the PAC-8 (now the PAC-10) was an early (early 80's) experimenter with the AP Arrow, and I think it experimented with a coin toss to determine which team started with the ball and thereby starting the AP Process. I hope that there are some California oldtimers out there who can comment on this.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

There is certainly tradition and somewhat a level of excitment at the opening tip-off. I am glad for the AP procedure (imagine having an actual jump ball every time there is a held ball in a girls FR game?). But some things should remain, if for tradition only. Please don't tell me they are considering this move because (some) referees can't toss up the ball straight and high....

I just read Snaqwells comment about Iowa girls. Might as well put them back in bloomers. What's that all about, is it not ladylike to jump?
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 11:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
There is certainly tradition and somewhat a level of excitment at the opening tip-off. I am glad for the AP procedure (imagine having an actual jump ball every time there is a held ball in a girls FR game?). But some things should remain, if for tradition only. Please don't tell me they are considering this move because (some) referees can't toss up the ball straight and high....

I just read Snaqwells comment about Iowa girls. Might as well put them back in bloomers. What's that all about, is it not ladylike to jump?
I wish I knew. I was taking some time away from officiating when they made that change; and I never really heard the rationale behind it. I'll ask around and get back with you on it.
Any other Iowa refs here who might know? Junker?
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Why not just give the visiting team the ball and start the arrow from there?
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 02:31am
Official Forum Member

Concerning the origins of the coin toss to start the game for Iowa girls, I heard an explanation for that once but I'm not sure if it is actually true. I was told that several years ago, I believe in either a district or state tournament game, two girls bumped heads on the opening tip and cracked their heads open. They instituted the coin toss for safety reasons. It's ridiculous of course, since two players are much more likely to crack their heads open diving for a loose ball on the floor than on a jump ball. But that is the explanation I heard. I think that the Iowa Girls Union just likes to make up a few rules variations so that they can justify their own existance. The players would much rather start the game with a jump ball.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 03:41am
Official Forum Member

I say for freshman girls only we institute the XFL scramble for the ball rule.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

It was tried in GA several years ago and removed.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

let's go with this:

have 1 player wear a special uniform, they don't actually play in the game but whenever there is a jump ball situation, the coaches have 30 seconds to conference with them on strategy and then they meet at center court for a duel of rock, paper, scissors. Winner gets ball. Yes, this must begin at the Freshman level because you know how hard it is to get kids who can rock, paper, scissors properly these days.

I know this will lengthen the time of a game but since we won't have to actually toss the ball for the tip off, schools can lower our pay because we will now need a 4th official who is speciallized in the art of r/p/s.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What's your thoughts?
So football isn't an athletic event?
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 11:40am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

What's your thoughts?
So football isn't an athletic event?

Mark:

Can I add futbol to your question? :-)

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 11:43am
M.A.S.H.

New saying. Instead of "going to the arrow" on a held ball, we'd be "going to the coin." Hmmmm, just doesn't sound right!
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

I think many of you are missing the point. The center jump is irrelevant when we have the AP arrow. Who cares who gets the opening tap? At levels lower than HS, we have so many jump ball calls that it's hard to track.

If the tipoff should matter, then they should get rid of AP entirely and go back to jumping everything. The way it stands now it's just a quaint anachronism, except possibly in an OT period, where initial possession could actually make a difference.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

I like the quaintness. Let's keep it.