The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   end of regulation technical foul (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16967-end-regulation-technical-foul.html)

teeare Sun Dec 12, 2004 02:00pm

Here's a situation that almost happened yesterday; it didn't, but it made me wonder...

Middle school game, 8th graders. Team A scored basket with about 5 seconds left to tie the game. Team B inbounds ball but can't get across half-court before buzzer sounds, regulation game ends tied. At that point, Team B's coach goes ballistic, claiming that he tried to call a timeout immediately after the basket. Coach is out on the court, screaming in the officials' faces. They get him calmed down and back on the bench. Overtime happens, and Team A wins.

My question: if a technical foul had been called on Team B's coach, after end of regulation but before overtime started, and Team A makes a free throw, is the game over? Or does overtime start with Team A leading by a point?

tjones1 Sun Dec 12, 2004 02:09pm

Quote:

Originally posted by teeare
Here's a situation that almost happened yesterday; it didn't, but it made me wonder...

Middle school game, 8th graders. Team A scored basket with about 5 seconds left to tie the game. Team B inbounds ball but can't get across half-court before buzzer sounds, regulation game ends tied. At that point, Team B's coach goes ballistic, claiming that he tried to call a timeout immediately after the basket. Coach is out on the court, screaming in the officials' faces. They get him calmed down and back on the bench. Overtime happens, and Team A wins.

My question: if a technical foul had been called on Team B's coach, after end of regulation but before overtime started, and Team A makes a free throw, is the game over? Or does overtime start with Team A leading by a point?

Team A starts the overtime possibly leading by 2 with the ball.

AirForceDude Sun Dec 12, 2004 02:22pm

NFHS 5.6.4
If a technical foul occurs after the ball has become dead to end a quarter or extra period, the next quarter or extra period is stared by administering the free throws.

BktBallRef Sun Dec 12, 2004 03:07pm

If the game is tied when time expires and the 4th period or extra period is over, an OT will be played. The T is used to begin the OT.

If team B had been ahead by 1, and the coach went nuts for some reason after the game had ended, then both FTs would have been shot and A could win the game.

Back In The Saddle Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:29am

And since the OT would normally begin with a jump, but we're shooting free throws, the arrow goes to team B after the throw-in.

bob jenkins Mon Dec 13, 2004 02:15pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
And since the OT would normally begin with a jump, but we're shooting free throws, the arrow goes to team B after the throw-in.
Or, to be picky, the arrow points toward B's basket whne the ball is at the disposal of the inbounder.

Back In The Saddle Mon Dec 13, 2004 03:22pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Or, to be picky, the arrow points toward B's basket whne the ball is at the disposal of the inbounder.

Whoops! Did I say after? :D