The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Let's say A1 is going up to shoot a 3. As soon as A1's feet hit the floor B1 attempts to block him out and knocks A1 over. Is A1 still in continuous motion from his shot? do I award the 3 fouls shots if the basket does not go in or take the ball out of bounds?

Also if B1's contact is deemed intentional and I call an intential foul on B1 and A1's shot does not go in do I award A1 with 2 or 3 foul shots?
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Bizket786
Let's say A1 is going up to shoot a 3. As soon as A1's feet hit the floor B1 attempts to block him out and knocks A1 over. Is A1 still in continuous motion from his shot?

No. The airborne shooter rule ends when either foot returns to the floor. 4-1-1

Quote:
do I award the 3 fouls shots if the basket does not go in or take the ball out of bounds?
If Team A is not in the bonus, then Team A is awarded the ball OOB at the nearest spot, regardless of whether or not the try is successful.

If Team A is in the bonus, then A1 will shoot 1-and-1 (or 2 FTs), regardless of whether the try is successful or not.

Quote:
Also if B1's contact is deemed intentional and I call an intential foul on B1 and A1's shot does not go in do I award A1 with 2 or 3 foul shots?
Since the intentional foul was committed against A2, it is irrelevant whether the shooter has already returned to the floor or whether the try is successful or not. You would award A2 (not A1) two FTs with the lane cleared and then give the ball back to Team A at the spot closest to the foul.

I believe those rulings are true for both FED and NCAA.

In the NBA, if the try was successful and the foul was non-flagrant, you count the basket and award A2 (not A1) one FT.

[Edited by ChuckElias on Dec 10th, 2004 at 02:28 PM]
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Bizket786
Let's say A1 is going up to shoot a 3. As soon as A1's feet hit the floor B1 attempts to block him out and knocks A1 over. Is A1 still in continuous motion from his shot?

No. The airborne shooter rule ends when either foot returns to the floor. 4-1-1

Quote:
do I award the 3 fouls shots if the basket does not go in or take the ball out of bounds?
If Team A is not in the bonus, then Team A is awarded the ball OOB at the nearest spot, regardless of whether or not the try is successful.

If Team A is in the bonus, then A1 will shoot 1-and-1 (or 2 FTs), regardless of whether the try is successful or not.

Quote:
3 FTs, since the original try was a 3-point attempt. If the try is successful, you would score 3 points and then award 2 FTs.

I believe those rulings are true for both FED and NCAA.

In the NBA, if the try was successful and the foul was non-flagrant, you count the basket and award A2 (not A1) one FT.
I think you may have contradicted yourself in the last part of your response. If B1's contact, which is the same contact as described in the beginning of the post, is deemed intentional, then it's just 2 shots plus the ball, not 3 shots (regardless of whether the shot was successful or unsuccessful). Remember, the foul occurred after the airborn shooter landed, so it's not an intentional foul on an airborn shooter.
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Yup, you're right. I forgot that the shooter had already returned to the floor. I'm going to go back and edit my post. Good catch.
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

I think you are looking for the definition of an airborne shooter. Continuous motion has to do with the beginning the act of shooting, such as lifting the arms to shoot,and ends once the ball is in flight. Once a shooter jumps they become an airborne shooter until they land. In your sitch A1 had hit the floor and was no longer an airborne shooter. Thus they are treated as any other player. If the bonus was in effect, fouls would be shot, otherwise a spot throw in. If if it was deemed intentional then A1 would get two free throws and the ball for a throw in.
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RoyalsCoach
I think you are looking for the definition of an airborne shooter. Continuous motion has to do with the beginning the act of shooting, such as lifting the arms to shoot,and ends once the ball is in flight.Once a shooter jumps they become an airborne shooter until they land. In your sitch A1 had hit the floor and was no longer an airborne shooter.
Just to clear up a contradiction in the post, if the shooter is airborne, the act of shooting ends when the shooter returns to the floor, not when the shot is released.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Dec 10th, 2004 at 04:20 PM]