The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 01:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Last night, Frosh girls.
Called a foul on H22, and she turns to her coach and says, "But I didn't even touch her." Heading the other way, and as I go by V Coach, he says, "If one my of my girls lips off like that, I want you to T her up."

I'm thinking, "Clever, coach."

On my way back by him, I simply say "she was talking to her coach, or I may have." He smiled and didn't say much to me the rest of the night.

The funny thing is, that was as bad as it got all night from the girls. In a boys game, I expect that comment on 40% of my foul calls.

Another thing I noticed during the game last night, amidst our 16 held balls in the first game, was that there's a major difference in the held ball mentality between the girls and the boys. With the girls, getting the held ball seems to be the goal. With the boys, a held ball is a consolation prize for not getting the ball ripped away quickly enough.
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Be careful not to set yourself up for one of his girls to "talk to their coach" comment on your officiating.

It is refreshing when a coach is more concerned with teaching players basketball with the right attitude.
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Just because they're talking to their coach doesn't mean you can't T them up

6 Left!!!
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Be careful not to set yourself up for one of his girls to "talk to their coach" comment on your officiating.

It is refreshing when a coach is more concerned with teaching players basketball with the right attitude.
This guy isn't interested in teaching his kids, he's trying to let you know how to treat the other players. You know he means it if he says if after one of HIS kids lips off. they almost never do.
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 04:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Juulie, you're right. He was "working" me. I just thought it was clever and subtle. Apparently, what I did was good enough, because he smiled and never brought it up again and didn't try to "work" us the rest of the night.
That may explain why his girls came back from a 13 point half-time deficit to win the game on a 3 pointer with about 10 seconds left (their first and only lead of the game).
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Another thing I noticed during the game last night, amidst our 16 held balls in the first game, was that there's a major difference in the held ball mentality between the girls and the boys. With the girls, getting the held ball seems to be the goal. With the boys, a held ball is a consolation prize for not getting the ball ripped away quickly enough.
Stayed and watched some of the varsity games Wednesday night. In the girls game, two opposing players tie it up, but the home team player tries so hard to tear it away that she literally flings the other player about four feet through the air. She lands on her backside and skids another couple of feet.

Isn't that pretty much exactly the definition of a held ball? Two players holding it so tightly that neither can get it away without using undue force? Usually you give them a second or two to see if either of them will get it away, right? This one happened very quickly: visitor grabs it, home team player sends her flying! Based on the observation that they were obviously holding plenty tightly and that undue force was required to extricate the ball, perhaps this should have been called a held ball?

282 Left!!!!