The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   My first "real" T (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16891-my-first-real-t.html)

gostars Wed Dec 08, 2004 06:05pm

Gave out my first "discretionary" T last night. A1 stepped on the sideline. I blew my whistle, pointed to the line and then the other way. She spiked the ball and it about hit the ceiling.

This in not my first Tech. I have worked eight games (this is my first year) and already given out 5. I know that sounds like a lot but the rest couldn't be helped. One was for reaching out of bounds and slapping the ball on a throw-in. The 2nd and 3rd were flagrants for fighting and the 5th was for an excessive time out.

tjones1 Wed Dec 08, 2004 06:17pm

Quote:

Originally posted by gostars
Gave out my first "discretionary" T last night. A1 stepped on the sideline. I blew my whistle, pointed to the line and then the other way. She spiked the ball and it about hit the ceiling.

This in not my first Tech. I have worked eight games (this is my first year) and already given out 5. I know that sounds like a lot but the rest couldn't be helped. One was for reaching out of bounds and slapping the ball on a throw-in. The 2nd and 3rd were flagrants for fighting and the 5th was for an excessive time out.

Spiking the ball every time! I actually have a thing that if they slam the ball down and it doesn't go above their head and catch it I let it go. Your other T's, you've got to do what you've got to do! Actually a lot of new officials are afraid to do it because they are afraid it won't be just. FIGHTING?? Dang, I haven't even seen this yet, not that I want to. Anyways, sounds like you are doing a good job.

thumpferee Wed Dec 08, 2004 07:25pm

Quote:

One was for reaching out of bounds and slapping the ball on a throw-in.
[/B]
Warning first before the T?

Smitty Wed Dec 08, 2004 07:32pm

Quote:

Originally posted by thumpferee
Quote:

Warning first before the T? [/B]
Don't need a warning for that one...

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 08, 2004 07:40pm

Quote:

Quote:

Warning first before the T? [/B]
Why? There are some knowledgeable coaches out there who actually do know the rules. If you had one of these, and you warned his opponents when the rules said that you <b>can't</b>,then it's gonna be "uh-oh" time.

Maybe you can warn sometimes in little people ball, depending on the circumstances, but it's not a wise move for high school aged players imo.

thumpferee Wed Dec 08, 2004 08:06pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Smitty
Quote:

Quote:

Don't need a warning for that one... [/B]
I took it as tho it was on the throw in through the plane, not out of the hands of the thrower in.

"slapping the ball on a throw-in".

thumpferee Wed Dec 08, 2004 08:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Quote:

Why? There are some knowledgeable coaches out there who actually do know the rules. If you had one of these, and you warned his opponents when the rules said that you <b>can't</b>,then it's gonna be "uh-oh" time.

Maybe you can warn sometimes in little people ball, depending on the circumstances, but it's not a wise move for high school aged players imo. [/B]
"little people ball"? Don't be so hard on yourself!

And, I didn't ask FYO!

The original post was not so clear and interpreted it as though the defender reached through the plane and slapped the ball, as was said, "on a throw in". I simply asked whether a warning was given previously.

blindzebra Thu Dec 09, 2004 01:43am

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I took it as tho it was on the throw in through the plane, not out of the hands of the thrower in.

"slapping the ball on a throw-in". [/B]
You warn for breaking the plane. Breaking the plane and contacting the ball, before it's released, is a T and a warning for breaking the plane.

TimTaylor Thu Dec 09, 2004 06:18am

Quote:

Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

"slapping the ball on a throw-in".
You warn for breaking the plane. Breaking the plane and contacting the ball, before it's released, is a T and a warning for breaking the plane. [/B]
And breaking the plane and contacting the player making the throw-in before the ball is released is an automatic intentional foul.

Nevadaref Thu Dec 09, 2004 06:32am

Thump,
Breaking the plane and hitting the ball on the OOB side AFTER the thrower has released the pass is a big NOTHING! It is not even a warning.
Since JR and the other experienced refs on here know this, they knew that the original poster had to mean that the ball was still in the thrower's hands when it was hit, since he stated that he gave a T.

gostars Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:41am

Quote:

Originally posted by blindzebra
You warn for breaking the plane. Breaking the plane and contacting the ball, before it's released, is a T and a warning for breaking the plane. [/B]
That's exactly what happened. I had just told her to back up and don't reach. She reached across the line and slapped the ball before it was released.