The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Partner reports foul but it's middle of the 3rd and I'm not thinking 5th foul yet. We line up to shoot the 1-1 and shooter B1 is in motion when horn goes off to let us know that A1 has 5. While ball is still on B1's finger tips, parnter blows whistle. We let coach A and player A1 know that's 5 then line back up to shoot the front end of 1-1. Now I'm frustrated with table for not communicating in time and now I get to clean it up. B1 missed the orig FT but was certainly way into motion when horn/whistle blew and I can see why he missed as the table disconcerted him. Now Coach A is upset because A2 rebounded and he doesn't wnat to give B1 another try.

Considering what happened, did we do right?
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

You handled it the best you could. I bet if the basket was made the coach of the defensive team would be whistling a different tune.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Partner reports foul but it's middle of the 3rd and I'm not thinking 5th foul yet. We line up to shoot the 1-1 and shooter B1 is in motion when horn goes off to let us know that A1 has 5. While ball is still on B1's finger tips, parnter blows whistle. We let coach A and player A1 know that's 5 then line back up to shoot the front end of 1-1. Now I'm frustrated with table for not communicating in time and now I get to clean it up. B1 missed the orig FT but was certainly way into motion when horn/whistle blew and I can see why he missed as the table disconcerted him. Now Coach A is upset because A2 rebounded and he doesn't wnat to give B1 another try.

Considering what happened, did we do right?
Since the ball was still in the shooter's hand, the whistle made the ball dead. No FT was shot.

Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 09:45pm
Administrator

This is one of those plays where you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

The Scorer's signal does not cause the ball to become dead. Since B1 had already started his shooting motion, the official should refrain from sounding his whistle unless, the official is absolutely sure that the Scorer's signal caused B1 to hesitate and/or stop his shooting motion, in that case, the official should sound his whistle and kill the play immediately even if the ball is in the air.

When the Scorer's signal is sounded during the middle of play, the officials should be very careful as to whether to stop play or not. But when it sounds during free throws, the free throw shooter should always be given the benefit of the doubt, even though good coaches teach his players to keep playing until they hear an official's whistle not to stop playing when they hear the horn.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio