The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

A couple of weeks ago I had my first T for going OOB in a boys JV game. As you can imagine, the call was not popular. And you probably would not be surprised that it caught the coaches off gaurd since they had not bothered to attend the "mandatory" rules meeting at the start of the year.

At half time the varsity coach corners me and my partner to discuss this. We spent probably five minutes listening to him. He expressed his opinion that varsity officials would not call it, and if they did there would be phone calls and blah blah blah. That same week a friend of mine had a similar experience with being cornered by a varsity coach at half time.

Anybody have a good way of handling this? In my case we let him have his say and then went to the dressing room. But it seems rather unprofessional for a varsity coach to be molesting the JV officials in this way.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

I'd probably have let him know that I am a Varsity ref, just not on that game and that by rule........ you know, we all went to the same "mandatory" rules meeting.

Coach, besides trying to gain an advantage, why was your player running OOB?

If you called it the way it was discussed at your meeting, then don't sweat it.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

I'd have him call the assignor. Maybe he/she will be impressed by your rules knowledge and/or handling of the coach that you'll get moved up to the varsity level.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle

Anybody have a good way of handling this? In my case we let him have his say and then went to the dressing room. But it seems rather unprofessional for a varsity coach to be molesting the JV officials in this way.
Scene opens with an obviously upset coach approaching the officials as they walk off the floor.

Coach: "BITS! How could you call that??? Whatintheheckiswrongwithyou??!!"

BITS: "POE coach. You were told about it during the meeting."

Coach: "Meeting?"

BITS: "You need to call our interpreter & get caught up. See ya later."

Curtain falls as BITS walks away.

Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

My thoughts

1) I hope it was so obvious that everyone in the cheap seats knew that it had to be called.

2) The varsity coach is probably right that the varsity guys would not have called it unless it was so obvious it could have been called from the next county.

3) Even if the call was "a Bad one" this does not give the right to the varisty coach to bother you during the half time. I would have sent UHSAA (Jerry) a quick email. I would then discuss the situation with your association (You are in Utah County one correct?) remember you can file any unusual game situation report stuff to the UHSAA.