The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 10:31am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Arrow

Hello,

I thought about commenting after a men's league game I had a coupla weeks ago, but for some reason I didn't. A V game I had last night had a similar element, and I would describe the element as "even more so".

Both games were tough to officiate. The usual "walk in the park" response to how the game went could not be given.

Especially the game last night... the teams were good, but bad. They were bad, but good. We called 24 fouls in the first half (13 + 11). We could have called more, and definitely not less. The game never got out of hand, and the coaches never said boo, yet I have this feeling that I didn't officiate well.

Sometimes while running a play, a player would forget that he's supposed to v-cut to over there, and when he remembers where he's supposed to be, he'll bump a defender off his path. That defender's opponent rarely received a pass, or created some sort of offensive advantage, so I let it go, as did my partner. At times the contact was a bit much, perhaps in another game I would call it, but everyone seemed content for that contact to be a part of this game.

Players tried really hard to block shots, but weren't always quick enough to get a blocked shot. Many times I used the philosophy behind Steve Javie's famous quote; the shooter was contacted after the release. The contact did not displace the shooter, take him out of rebounding position or affect his landing, nor did his arm did not flail in another direction.

There was a break-away and the dribbler, on his last dribble, double-dribbled. Two hands on the ball, but I might have been the only one that saw it. I let it go because it was a break-away, I had already decided that these players weren't as skilled as the usual V players I officiate, and that this player's steal and break-away layup was good for the game (the excitement level was raised).

Other foul/violation sitchs like the above three paragraphs happened, and I/we handled them the same way.

The point at which I have a foul was definitely pushed back due to the nature of this game. I understand this happens probably every game. Each official has a range in which they officiate, in terms of how much contact they let go, what little travel they let go, etc.... but I found this game that my bar was outside of my usual range. I don't think I've had a game like this in years. I can't remember when a game like this last happened for me. It was odd the whole game. I took it that I was doing well, since not a single player or coach said anything, the players were having fun and there was some cheering from the crowd of 20.

The players did adapt - the third quarter hardly had any fouls, and as for the fourth, especially the last 4:00, had more fouls as the game was close as teams were playing hard to the end. Both teams ended up with 9 or 10 fouls in that half.

(I rarely go into double bonus, let alone both teams. But in both halves... this is an oddity for sure.)

Have you ever had a game like this? Perhaps seen one officiated by a colleague?

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or am I talking out of my cheeks?
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

JugglingReferee,

The fact that the teams fouled less in the second half is usually a good indicator that you called it tight enough in the first half for them to get the message that they needed to back off a little bit. My personal philosophy is to start the game pretty tight and then the players will adjust and play a very clean game. Calling a couple off-ball calls in the first quarter always makes for a much better game in the long run.

You may have done this, but if I feel a game is a little "uncomfortable," I will get together with my partner at a time-out and figure out what we can do to get it back on easy street. If we have to use the entire time-out to talk and we never get to our "time out spots," so be it.

99% of the time that a game feels "uncomfortable" to me, it's time for me and my partner to adjust and that adjustment usually means moving that line of what is and isn't a foul to be a little tighter.

It's been a long time since I've felt that way in a game (knock on wood), but I'm sure it will happen again. The key is to "get the game back" under your control (and comfort zone) right away.

Z
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 11:47am
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
The key is to "get the game back" under your control (and comfort zone) right away.
I agree, Z.
Just like an uncomfortable strike zone can be adjusted, the quality of contact can be changed if it's done very early in the game.
mick
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

juggling ref..,
I had one like that last week. We hade 24 at the half and about 50 at the end of the game and we were not calling touch fouls. We were trying to "let 'em play." ( I hate it when I hear that!) We were in the bonus in the first three minutes of the game. At one point we probably had 10 trips up and down the court that ended in hard shooting fouls. I hate games like this. I remember asking myself more than once during the game. "So are we having fun yet?" I was ready to go home. Next game was great, thank God!
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 10:57pm
In Memoriam

Off topic.

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
"So are we having fun yet?" I was ready to go home. Next game was great, thank God!

refnrev,
Ever hear of Starved Rock Bass club?
mick
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Mike, I feel your pain.

This year at the MDP camp I went to, 2 out of the 4 games I did were like that. They lasted at least 2 hours each, and were horrible to officiate. I was stressing out, because I thought I did a horrible job, and with evaluators watching it didn't help.

After one of the games, the worst one in my opinion, the evaluator said something that really shocked me. Now there had to be at least 60 fouls in the game, really scrappy, 7 people fouled out. After the game, we were watching the tape and the evaluator said that we should've called more. We should've called every little touch. I'm still not sure exactly how that would've worked out, but man, does having a game like that really put strain on the old mind. It made me doubt myself as an official which is something I really shouldn't do.

Well anyways, long story short, you're not alone out there.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

I watched an 8th grade girls game yesterday that had 30 fouls in first half, 2 players on visiting team fouled out before halftime. The first half took 1 hour (6 minute quarters). I'd had enough and left during the 3rd qtr.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Mick,
Nope, but I really have heard of Hanging Rock Bass Club.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

HAd my game like that last week

Girls Varsity Private School league. Before 2 minutes into the game, we had 6 fouls (3 + 3) and 4 "Held Balls". One coach yelled at me to "let them play" to which I replied, "when they start playing basketball, I will." One girl hit a 3 pointer just before the half to make the game a tie. 16 total points and 16 total fouls.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

I watched a boys varsity game Friday night that was odd in the way the fouls accumulated. In the first half, by the end of the first quarter, the visiting team had 9 fouls to the home team's 1. By the end of the half, both teams were in the bonus.

In the second half, in the first 3-4 minutes of the 3rd quarter, the home team had 9 fouls to the visiting team's 1. Home team head coach received a technical foul in the middle of a 1-on-none fast break.

- Catherine Aird
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: HAd my game like that last week

Quote:
Originally posted by Damian
One coach yelled at me to "let them play" to which I replied, "when they start playing basketball, I will."
Please take this comment out of your repetoire.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Damain,
It just my opinion, but comments like that one will only buy you problems. Be careful. Some guys go ballistic in situations like that.
RR
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to SpeedyGonGoalie
This is why I come off as unapproachable. I always have something great to say like that but think better of it. No idea what to say next.

Last intramural season here at IU, we had a game with 40 fouls. But that's 20 minute halfs, with a running clock in the first 19 of each half (no team fouls, double bonus last minute of each half). So a foul a minute, when after every shooting foul, there was about 30 seconds where nothing was going on.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Similar

I had a similar experience a season or two ago. Working with a partner that, in the past, I had worked some competitive tournament games that included HS, college, and post college players. But I had never worked a High School game with him.

I had been warned by other fellow officials (that aren't too hip about this guy's style) not to call his style of game (lots of physical play and few fouls) - to watch myself.

The day came, a highly competitive HS game working with this particular partner. Well for compatibility and consistency, I tried to call a game similar to his. It was difficult for the first quarter. But by the end of the game I occasionally found myself saying "Man, you didn't need to call that." Certain calls felt out-of-place - too restrictive. Not a peep out of either coach. Players were commenting about how much fun they were having - that made me feel good. There was no pleading for additional foul calls and we probably called 30-40 fouls.

When it was done I felt good - had a smile on my face. It was a great experience. Got another one coming up with him next week - should be interesting ... again.

Every game is a different experience.