The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Buying him back in (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16858-buying-him-back.html)

Adam Tue Dec 07, 2004 02:23pm

Back to the injury thing again. 10th boys last night, and V41 gets injured in the eye on a foul by H32. After I call the coach on the floor and he gets attended to by the trainer, V41 looks like he can continue. I inform the coach that if he wants his player to stay in the game, he will have to use a timeout.
He agrees to use the TO, and I inform the bench and all the players start heading to their benches.

After a couple seconds of yapping by the assistants, the head coach asks me if he can just sub for the player. I tell him, "sure, but you're still using the timeout."

He wanted to keep the TO, because his team was down and mounting a comeback.
Was I correct to not let him change his mind at that point?

Adam

BBall_Junkie Tue Dec 07, 2004 02:27pm

Had you reported the TO to the table yet? If, so I would say he is stuck with the TO. If not, I would quickly have him get the sub to the table get the other team turned around with a quick explanation to the coach and get the FT's administered without delay. Just how I would most likely handle the situation.

mick Tue Dec 07, 2004 02:31pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
He agrees to use the TO, and I inform the bench and all the players start heading to their benches.

After a couple seconds of yapping by the assistants, the head coach asks me if he can just sub for the player. I tell him, "sure, but you're still using the timeout."

He wanted to keep the TO, because his team was down and mounting a comeback.
Was I correct to not let him change his mind at that point?

<LI>Think long, think wrong.
<LI>He asked, and he received.
<LI>Life is a one-way zipper.

You did well, Adam.
mick

Robmoz Tue Dec 07, 2004 02:33pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
... I inform the coach that if he wants his player to stay in the game, he will have to use a timeout.

• Injured player requires sub or TO to buy back in.
  • Coach informed of the option and chooses the TO.
  • TO granted by official.
Sounds like only thing left to do is ask if he wants a Full or 30. Curious, lets say you grant the "take back" and go with the change to the sub option; are you prepared to WHACK the other coach when he begins his tirade?

Nevadaref Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:05am

Ok, I am making this my official crusade on this forum:
PLEASE DO NOT EVER USE THE TERM "BUY BACK IN" FOR THE BLOOD/INJURTY TIME-OUT RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Say keep or remain in the game. Thanks. :)

mick Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:15am

Quote:

Originally posted by Nevadaref
Ok, I am making this my official crusade on this forum:
PLEASE DO NOT EVER USE THE TERM "BUY BACK IN" FOR THE BLOOD/INJURTY TIME-OUT RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Say keep or remain in the game. Thanks. :)

Okay, Sir! :)
<HR>
"...always thought he was so cold -- but really he's quite emotional, isn't he? - Lee Marvin