The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Angry Painful to watch

Got to get this off my chest. I had Jr. High boys last night. Visiting 8th graders were the worst team I have seen in my life. These poor guys have never scored more than 8 points in a game - ever! Coaches ask for 5 minute quarters at start of game. School official talked them into 6 minute continous clock quarters in second half. My partner and I gave the visitors every conceivable break and advantage we could find. Home team's 2nd and 3rd stringers beat them 57-7. The visitors were hanging heir heads all night long and crying at the time outs and quarters. They were totally humiliated. This thing was just painful to watch. Why do schools send a team out to get annialated and humiliated every time they step on the floor?
I know you probably don't have an answer. I just needed to get this off my chest with a fellow ref (or a hundred or so.)

[Edited by refnrev on Dec 8th, 2004 at 12:56 AM]
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 04:04am
Official Forum Member

Re: Painful to watch

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
Got to get this off my chest. I had Jr. High boys last night. Visiting 8th graders were the worst team I have seen in my life. These poor guys have never scored more than 8 points in a game - ever! Coaches ask for 5 minute quarters at start of game. School official talked them into 6 minute continous clock quarters in second half. My partner and I gave the visitors every conceivable break and advantage we could find. Home team's 2nd and 3rd stringers beat them 57-7. The visitors were hanging heir heads all night long and crying at the time outs and quarters. They were totally humiliated. This thing was just painful to watch. Why do schools send a team out to get annialated and humiliated every time they step on the floor?
I know you probably don't have an answer. I just needed to get this off my chest with a fellow ref (or a hundred or so.)

[Edited by refnrev on Dec 8th, 2004 at 12:56 AM]
Encourage whenever possible. Explain what they do wrong...rules-wise...try to keep it positive. If they are hustling tell them good job, if they make a shot tell them nice shot. Look for sportsmanship and point it out and thank them for it.

In other words be a caring human being, and try to help them get a few positives out of it.