The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Whats the differnce between High School and NCAA in this situation?
Offense is shooting free throws near the end of the game. The offense calls a time out before the first free throw yet they have no time outs left. What would the call be in each of these leagues and how would you carry out the game?
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

I believe the rules are pretty much the same. I know in high school you grant the timeout and shoot the FT. If I am not mistaken you do the same at the NCAA level. I am sure someone will clarify further.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by I love this game
Whats the differnce between High School and NCAA in this situation?
Offense is shooting free throws near the end of the game. The offense calls a time out before the first free throw yet they have no time outs left. What would the call be in each of these leagues and how would you carry out the game?
Grant the time out and the offensive team gets a Tech. Shoot free throws and next administer the Tech. In Fed ball is taken out at half court opposite the table. I believe in NCAA the ball is taken out closest to where the Tech occurred? Don't quote me on this since I don't do NCAA.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
ncaa m: Indirect T. Free throws at POI, foul does not count towards team totals or player totals. Charged to coach.

ncaa w: Same as ncaa M plus the offending team loses the ball (I think at spot of infraction??).

fed: team foul, does not count towards player totals. Opponents get the ball at mid court.

In all cases 2 FTs for the other team.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
FED and NCAA Women: Grant the TO. Assess Team A with a technical foul (NCAAW indirect technical foul). After the TO, shoot Team A's FTs with no one on the lane. Then give Team B two FTs with no one on the lane for the technical. Then give ball to Team B at midcourt opposite the table.

NCAA: Grant the TO. Assess Team A with an indirect technical foul. After the TO, give Team B two FTs for the technical foul, with no one on the lane. Then give Team A its original two FTs, with players along the lane and allow play to continue off the make or miss.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
NCAA Women: Grant the TO. Assess Team A with a technical foul (NCAAW indirect technical foul). After the TO, shoot Team A's FTs with no one on the lane. Then give Team B two FTs with no one on the lane for the technical. Then give ball to Team B at midcourt opposite the table.
Where does it say this?

(I believe you but I didn't see it in the rule book.)
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
NCAA Women: Then give ball to Team B at midcourt opposite the table.
Where does it say this?
Oh, I don't know. You're right. Team B gets the ball, but probably at the closest spot, which would be at the endline.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
NCAA Women: Then give ball to Team B at midcourt opposite the table.
Where does it say this?
Oh, I don't know. You're right. Team B gets the ball, but probably at the closest spot, which would be at the endline.

Need a ncaa w ref to chime in here please.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck's got it right. We go over this in our NCAAW pregames. Technical fouls are POI, except for excessive time-outs. Award the time out, finish A's free throws with the lane clear, award team B two free throws with the lane clear, and then resume play with the ball to team B at designated spot. The indirect technical is charged to the player or coach who asked for the time-out. Don't have the rule, but I believe it's in rule 10 of the CCA manual.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Chuck's got it right. We go over this in our NCAAW pregames. Technical fouls are POI, except for excessive time-outs.
And Flagrant Ts.

Quote:
Award the time out, finish A's free throws with the lane clear, award team B two free throws with the lane clear, and then resume play with the ball to team B at designated spot. The indirect technical is charged to the player or coach who asked for the time-out. Don't have the rule, but I believe it's in rule 10 of the CCA manual.
The indirect is "charged to the coach", but doesn't count toward the coach's DQ (NCAAW interp 11/10/04 to 10-2.1 NOTE)