The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I am such an S$% for calling an intentional (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16837-i-am-such-s-calling-intentional.html)

Kelvin green Mon Dec 06, 2004 06:54pm

Did a JR high game today. Visitors dwoen by 3 ( Of course they mussed 7-10 shots in the paint in the last 2 minutes.)

Home team has ball. Visitor coach screaming foul em foul em foul em. Player goes after the dribbler and gives a push.

I call intentional, Coach tells me I need to learn the INTENT of the rules and that the player did not push the dribbler very hard at all...

I guess the best part of the game was we only shot 1+1 twice the whole game

cmathews Mon Dec 06, 2004 07:17pm

good call

Don't beat yourself up over it....you did fine...

Jurassic Referee Mon Dec 06, 2004 07:44pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Kelvin green

Home team has ball. Visitor coach screaming foul em foul em foul em. Player goes after the dribbler and gives a push.

I call intentional, Coach tells me I need to learn the INTENT of the rules and that the player did not push the dribbler very hard at all...

Were you able to stop yourself from laughing out loud when that doofus said that, Kelvin?

Lah me......

Mark Padgett Mon Dec 06, 2004 07:50pm

That's probably why he's coaching JUNIOR high!

BTW - did you stare at his pants and puke on his shoes? :p

mick Mon Dec 06, 2004 07:55pm

Oh, my!

I expect that kind of thing U.P. here cuz it seems the Jr. High coaches, in fact mmany if not most sub-varsity coaches, do not have their own books. There may be only one book floatng around any given school.

If the schools cannot provide enough copies, I am sure that I would get my own.

Lah me, too.
mick

QuebecRef87 Mon Dec 06, 2004 08:01pm

Quote:

Visitor coach screaming foul em foul em foul em.
Should we give a T to a coach for this kind of behavior? I don't think this is very sportsmanlike...

RookieDude Mon Dec 06, 2004 08:04pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Wise Weasel
Quote:

Should we give a T to a coach for this kind of behavior? I don't think this is very sportsmanlike...

No Way! Don't T the coach for this.

Fouling is part of the game...that is why players get 5 fouls...now it is your job, as an official, to decide if they are intentional or not.

capwsu Mon Dec 06, 2004 08:29pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Wise Weasel
Quote:

I wouldn't T the coahc for this, but what do you guys think about possibly T'ing the coach for telling us to "learn the intent of the rules"? Obviously I'd have to be there to hear his tone, but I would think about it.

mick Mon Dec 06, 2004 09:18pm

Quote:

Originally posted by capwsu

I wouldn't T the coahc for this, but what do you guys think about possibly T'ing the coach for telling us to "learn the intent of the rules"? Obviously I'd have to be there to hear his tone, but I would think about it.

capwsu,
I wouldn't ... think about it.
mick

Dan_ref Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:05pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

capwsu,
mick

Jr high?

I would.

brandan89 Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:07pm

Heck, I saw a referee "T" a Highschool coach for that.

mick Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:16pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Quote:

capwsu,
mick

Jr high?

I would.

Sparky,
I don't think about it.
Act!
Whack!
Fact!
mick

Dan_ref Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:20pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Quote:

capwsu,
mick

Jr high?

I would.

Sparky,
I don't think about it.
Act!
Whack!
Fact!
mick

You're too clever for me to keep up with. :D

PS2Man Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:11pm

Good call Kevin

Sounds like you made a good call Kevin.

I probably would T a coach depending on the type of behavior he or she has exhibited during the other parts of the game. But if that was the worst comment or the only comment like that all night I would vote for no T. But they would not have a very long leech after that.

tjones1 Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:43pm

I have noticed that Jr. coaches are really bad about the rules and it's sad. Here in IL, they don't have to attend a rules meeting. Now if 6th-8th grade is suppose to be about learning the game, how is this suppose to happen if the coaches aren't teaching them the correct rules, etc.? I had a 7/8th game tonight and it went pretty good. But of course these are the hardest games to call.