The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   squeaking shoes during free throws (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16815-squeaking-shoes-during-free-throws.html)

lawref Sun Dec 05, 2004 08:53pm

On Friday nite, I had a coach going ballistic because the opposing team's players, situated behind the 3-point arc when his player was at the charity stripe, were squeaking their shoes on the ground during the FT attempt. I told the coach there was nothing wrong with that, as the gym was noisy already and the players were not in lane spaces attempting to disconcert the thrower. Was I right?

Dan_ref Sun Dec 05, 2004 08:55pm

Quote:

Originally posted by lawref
On Friday nite, I had a coach going ballistic because the opposing team's players, situated behind the 3-point arc when his player was at the charity stripe, were squeaking their shoes on the ground during the FT attempt. I told the coach there was nothing wrong with that, as the gym was noisy already and the players were not in lane spaces attempting to disconcert the thrower. Was I right?
He went ballistic over this?

T him up.

lawref Sun Dec 05, 2004 08:58pm

Oops...forgot the rest of it. I did T him up.

Dan_ref Sun Dec 05, 2004 09:00pm

:)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Dec 05, 2004 09:01pm

Quote:

Wrong. A free throw is an unhindered attempt to score one point from the free throw line. If a player or players from Team B are sqeaking his or their shows whenever a player from Team A is shooting free throws, then the Team B players are guilty of disconcerting action. The location of the Team B players is not relevant with regard to the disconcerting action violation.

MTD, Sr.

tjones1 Sun Dec 05, 2004 09:01pm

If you deemed them to be intentionally doing this then I would say you should have stopped them. It doesn’t matter if the fans are noisy or the players in the lane aren’t doing anything. It’d be no different if the players in the lane weren’t doing anything and an opposing player was right behind the 3-point arc and was screaming at the shooter. White talks to white, red talks to red (or whatever). Now for a coach to be going ballistic over something like this I would have told him to calm down.

Jurassic Referee Sun Dec 05, 2004 09:18pm

Quote:

It's a straight judgement call on your part. If you thought that the act was disconcerting to the FT shooter, then call it. If you judge that it's not disconcerting to the FT shooter, then ignore it. Or maybe warn, if you think that it's getting close. It's a "have to be there- make up your own mind" call.

Btw, it doesn't matter whether the disconcerting act came from someone on a lane space or not. It can come from an opponent anywhere- even from their bench.

RookieDude Sun Dec 05, 2004 09:44pm

Remember the days...

Remember way back when?...
when the cheerleaders, for your side, would do a cheer as you were getting ready to shoot a FT...
the cheer went something like...

"Do like the army does, shoot it, shoot it..
do like the navy does, sink it, sink it Danny sink it!"

Talk about disconcerting...sheesh, I didn't know if I should shoot before the cheer was done or what! :D

mmmmmm...those were the days.

Jurassic Referee Sun Dec 05, 2004 09:51pm

Re: Remember the days...

Quote:

Originally posted by RookieDude

Your name is Danny Dude?

Mark Padgett Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:06pm

Re: Remember the days...

Quote:

Originally posted by RookieDude
Remember way back when?...
when the cheerleaders, for your side, would do a cheer as you were getting ready to shoot a FT...
the cheer went something like...

Talk about disconcerting...sheesh, I didn't know if I should shoot before the cheer was done or what! :D

mmmmmm...those were the days.

Yeah - and when the other team was going to shoot a free throw, our cheerleaders (and students in the stands) would yell, "See that basket, see that ball. Come on stupid, hit the wall!"

RookieDude Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:16pm

Your name is Danny Dude?

Yeah...when I was 17, or even now days around family and affectionate friends. :)
Otherwise...just Dan.
(DanRef already had that name when I signed up)

Yeah - and when the other team was going to shoot a free throw, our cheerleaders (and students in the stands) would yell, "See that basket, see that ball. Come on stupid, hit the wall!"

...man, you're bringing back the memories Mark. :D

[Edited by RookieDude on Dec 5th, 2004 at 10:18 PM]

JugglingReferee Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:30pm

Agreed.

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

The location of the Team B players is not relevant with regard to the disconcerting action violation.

MTD, Sr.

ChuckElias Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:43pm

Re: Re: Remember the days...

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Your name is Danny Dude?
Ah Danny Dude, the pipes,
the pipes are calling
From glen to glen,
and down the mountain side. . .

RookieDude Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:59pm

Re: Re: Re: Remember the days...

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Your name is Danny Dude?
Ah Danny Dude, the pipes,
the pipes are calling
From glen to glen,
and down the mountain side. . .

Now that is funny! :)
A friend I work with messes with me all the time by singing that little diddy.

Dan_ref Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:59pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

Wrong. A free throw is an unhindered attempt to score one point from the free throw line. If a player or players from Team B are sqeaking his or their shows whenever a player from Team A is shooting free throws, then the Team B players are guilty of disconcerting action. The location of the Team B players is not relevant with regard to the disconcerting action violation.

MTD, Sr.

Well.

My new FT routine:

bounce the ball to the shooter while annoncing the number of shots and yelling "Everybody SHUT UP!!! Do not move and there will be NO SNEAKER SQUEEKING!!!!!"