The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

My oldest son is a freshman in high school this year. His middle school games last year never really conflicted with my refereeing schedule, and the crowds were pretty docile. We figured that a freshman schedule would pose some problems, and we were prepared for that. The second week into the season we got great news, the coach moved Derek to the varsity team. He plays some JV quarters and some Varsity quarters. I'm going to watch him play, easy call! The assigners have done a great job trying to keep me working, too (second priority).

The tough part of this is sitting in the stands and listening to fans. Sure, we all know that the referees are not perfect. In 22 years I never had a game that I couldn't find something I missed. I guess that while I'm on the floor I don't hear many specific things. You know when the crowd is restless, but you block out the specifics.

Tuesday night a very good official made two consecutive b/c calls (very next play) against the home team (Derek's). Both were close calls, and both controversial. I thought that he got both right. I also thought that the roof would fall in!

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Of course the close fans all turned and wanted me to tell them that they were bad calls. They got quite a surprise. That official and I have worked tournaments together, and both done state tournaments, although not together. I know him well, and know his integrity level. My response was not what they were looking for, and few ask my opinion again. I guess I'm just not cut out to be a fan!

The thing that made me feel the best about the entire night was that when Derek came home, he said that he had given the rest of the team the same speech about the official.

Blackhawk
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Blackhawk357,

You do us all proud with your attitude and support for your fellow officials. Your son does you proud too!

My son is way too young for hoops yet (2 1/2), but I go to a few games as a spectator from time to time. Of course, many of the fans know that I'm an official and would love to get me "on their side" when they are complaining about a call. I just don't sit by them anymore. I find an open space and watch from there (or I'll sit by another official who feels the same way as me if they are in attendance).

Z
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

It can definately be difficult to sit amongst the crazies especially when they truly believe the refs are out to get them. I have had to move and then move again just to get away from them. I just want to see my kid run up and down the court and play the game. With 3 Dad's on the team who officiate, we are one of the few Freshman Girls teams around who actually know the rules and it shows up in their sportsmanship and their 7-1 record.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

I've sit in the stands for various sporting events that I officiate and I cannot take the fans. I always want to ask them what the rule is and see their blank stare. The worst part is when its a good call and one guy goes "that's a bad call." It frustrates me, but I just try to sit there and enjoy the game.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 04:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

The most fun is when you're sitting in the stands and you comment on all the comments the fans make. You tell them they're wrong about the rule, and that the official made the correct call. You continue to do this until they move away from you.

More popcorn for me.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
The most fun is when you're sitting in the stands and you comment on all the comments the fans make. You tell them they're wrong about the rule, and that the official made the correct call. You continue to do this until they move away from you.

More popcorn for me.
I won't let my wife sit amongst the fans when she comes to my games. She knows the rules and defends me way too much when the dumb comments begin. If I come out for warmups before the game and I see her sitting too close to a group, I just give her "the point" which means to move. She knows it's for her own good.

Z
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do that too, when I'm with a friend, I'll talk loud even though he's sitting next to me "That guy has no clue what he's talking about, they made the right call...."
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

More popcorn for me.
That sounds like fun
How 'bout this one on a call that has everyone confused?

"OH, Great call, GREAT call!
(elbow your mouthy neighbor)
Did you see that, Great call!
When he asks you what it was, just give him a real disappointed look and shake your head in amazement.

Old Fri Dec 24, 2004, 02:20pm
9 times

I look at those times when people ask me about calls as opportunities to educate the average fan about why things get called and why a call is right (while not popular). Blackhawk357, I think you have a tremendous opportunity to do us alla great service during these games.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Fri Dec 24, 2004, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
I look at those times when people ask me about calls as opportunities to educate the average fan about why things get called and why a call is right (while not popular). Blackhawk357, I think you have a tremendous opportunity to do us alla great service during these games.
The last thing most of those fans want is to be educated. They just want to be around other uneducated complainers who echo their ignorance. They might tolerate a couple of "corrections" from an official, but after a couple of those, you'll just get em' mad and in your face. Ignorance doesn't want to know the truth, it just wants more ignorance. Best thing is to just stay away.

Z
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
The last thing most of those fans want is to be educated. They just want to be around other uneducated complainers who echo their ignorance. They might tolerate a couple of "corrections" from an official, but after a couple of those, you'll just get em' mad and in your face. Ignorance doesn't want to know the truth, it just wants more ignorance. Best thing is to just stay away.

Z
But just think what can happen if you teach two ignorant fans something new. And they tell two friends, and they tell two friends...
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Quote:

Z
But just think what can happen if you teach two ignorant fans something new. And they tell two friends, and they tell two friends...

The funniest one was when the visiting point guard had his piviot foot in the back court and piviots two or three times in the front court. The boo bears were out in force.
The guy next to me looks at me and says "How did he miss that?"
I said back "Miss what?"
"The over-and-back"
"Looked to me like his piviot foot was in the back court"
"So, it's still over-and-back!"
"Not for the last ten years"
(Dumbfounded look)"Why did they change that rule"
"They have changed a lot of rules since you played, buddy"

Suddenly he was a much better fan. At least for the rest of that night!

Blackhawk
Old Mon Dec 27, 2004, 12:05pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackhawk357
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Quote:

Z

The funniest one was when the visiting point guard had his piviot foot in the back court and piviots two or three times in the front court. The boo bears were out in force.
The guy next to me looks at me and says "How did he miss that?"
I said back "Miss what?"
"The over-and-back"
"Looked to me like his piviot foot was in the back court"
"So, it's still over-and-back!"
"Not for the last ten years"
(Dumbfounded look)"Why did they change that rule"
"They have changed a lot of rules since you played, buddy"

Suddenly he was a much better fan. At least for the rest of that night!

Blackhawk
My point exactly. They may not want to be educated, but if they start asking questions, the door is open and they will be taught.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019