The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Block/Charge/No Call (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16769-block-charge-no-call.html)

hbioteach Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:47pm

8th Grade Boys

A1 drives from the three point line to just outside the lane and B1 "flops" after minimal contact and A1 misses the shot. I'm the lead on the opposite side. The trail calls nothing. (Has been doing that most of the game so far).

As far as primary area of coverage it is the trail's call.

I'm thinking I should have made a call there:

(A) Block on the defense. 2 shots.

or

By the book:

(B) Technical foul on B1.

What do you think?
Also, how do you handle when you are working with a "weaker" official.

rainmaker Fri Dec 03, 2004 01:10pm

Quote:

Originally posted by hbioteach
8th Grade Boys

A1 drives from the three point line to just outside the lane and B1 "flops" after minimal contact and A1 misses the shot. I'm the lead on the opposite side. The trail calls nothing. (Has been doing that most of the game so far).

or

By the book:

What do you think?

(1) It's a no-call in my book, with a quiet word to the flopper.

(2) It's tough to work with a weaker official, especially if you're newer yourself. You need to find a balance between letting him learn and bailing him out. You get the O'MiGawd calls that are in the gray area, and you loosen up just a little so that the total is more equal. Switch ends a lot, so you're seeing the whole floor over the course of a few minutes. Give a small amount of advice. Be sure your parnter knows you've got his back. And then have it. Part on friendly terms.

When all else fails, remember these timely words from our own mick:

Get in
Get done
Get out!

ChuckElias Fri Dec 03, 2004 01:26pm

Quote:

Here's my camp story about primary areas of responsibility. This was my first camp: Hoop Mountain, about 6 years ago.

I'm Lead. Settled frontcourt situation. Ball swings quickly to the C's side and the player drives to the basket. No time for a rotation, so the C has to take the play. Well, the kid gets whacked across the arm. Obvious foul. No call from my C. Being the new guy, and very "un-confident" in my first 3-whistle experience, I let my partner "live and die" with the call. I have nothing.

The conversation with the observer went like this:

Observer: On that play, was it in your area?
Me: No.
Observer: Right. Did the kid get hammered?
Me: Yes.
Observer: Right. What should you have done?
Me: (Sigh) Call the foul.
Observer: Right.

Short, sweet, and I never forgot it.

bob jenkins Fri Dec 03, 2004 01:33pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias

Exactly. That's the meaning of the apparenlty conflicting statements:

Stay in your primary.
Call the obvious.

In the play described, I would have passed, too.

rockyroad Fri Dec 03, 2004 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Here's my camp story about primary areas of responsibility. This was my first camp: Hoop Mountain, about 6 years ago.

I'm Lead. Settled frontcourt situation. Ball swings quickly to the C's side and the player drives to the basket. No time for a rotation, so the C has to take the play. Well, the kid gets whacked across the arm. Obvious foul. No call from my C. Being the new guy, and very "un-confident" in my first 3-whistle experience, I let my partner "live and die" with the call. I have nothing.

OK, my camp story...I'm T, drive from C's area and a huge crash with three players on floor. I stay in my primary and let my partner "live and die"...next time-out, the two evaluators (both have had Final Four appearances) came out on the floor and proceeded to ream me for not having the guts to make the "tough" call! Never again...

In the original play, I'm not calling anything...

DJ Fri Dec 03, 2004 02:04pm

I agree...

So much depends on your experience and confidence and how much confidence the coaches and players have in your abilities. When I was a younger official I used to admire one official who was the best around. He was the kind of official that was excellent for younger officials to work with because he had the ability to work with the new guys but if they did not want to get involved he would work the game by himself. A strong partner is the key to your success so it is important that you are strong for your partner. Your partner will determine when it is time to reach into his territory and the feedback you get from everyone in the gym will determine if it is the right thing to do. Two wrongs don't make a right so if it is there in most cases the kids and the coaches expect it to be called and they don't care who's area it is in. If a coach argues an obvious call that you made because it is not in your area well too bad. There will be calls that you make that will be much worse than that call. And then there is always the replay and if the replay says it is the right call to make and your partner did not make the call then your evaluator should be questioning your partners position or judgement and not yours. I personally love the replay because it just reinforces what we as officials already know!!

zebraman Fri Dec 03, 2004 02:21pm

Quote:

8th Grade Boys

or

By the book:

What do you think?

If I see a "probably foul" in my partner's primary area (but only a little ways out of my primary area), I don't call it. He probably has his reasons (right or wrong) for passing on it.

If I happen to see a train wreck in my partner's area (but only a little ways out of my primary area) and he sucks on his whistle, I'm making that call.

If he has a either a probably foul or a train wreck that is WAY out of my primary area, I highly doubt if I'll see it (why am I looking there?).

These situations are all a part of my standard pregame.

Z

IREFU2 Fri Dec 03, 2004 02:26pm

I had just about the same thing happen to me in a camp. 3 man crew, I was in the lead on the fast break, the trail was behing the play following the play to the basket, last second shot, the defender looks back at me and then get his spot on the floor, serious crash actually a steamroll, the trail calls nothing, I come out this a strong whistle and the basket goes, I waive it off and call player control. Team lost by one point. The guy that runs the camp is an ACC officail and asks the trail was he going to call it, the trail says nope, my stock goes way up, the trails (D3 Official)stock goes way down. My buddies still are talking about that play today.

DJ Fri Dec 03, 2004 03:32pm

Tonight...

Tonight I will be working with a new official who has never worked a varsity game. It should be a fun night for both of us. Only problem I can see is that I don't know his beverage of choice after the game!! I prefer a long neck and tomato!! But that could be another thread!!