The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Had two middle school games at a HS tonight. The scorer's table was on a platform about 41/2ft. off the floor. Has anyone else seen this? I really didn't like it. I was a lot harder to communicate with the table crew and we had clock and arrow problems all night long. The only reason I can think of for it being this way was they had storage under the platform.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, seen it several times. I've seen two on top of a stage next to the sides behind the rows of chairs for coaches and players. You just have to go with what they've got even when you don't like it.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:27pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by gostars
Had two middle school games at a HS tonight. The scorer's table was on a platform about 41/2ft. off the floor. Has anyone else seen this? I really didn't like it. I was a lot harder to communicate with the table crew and we had clock and arrow problems all night long. The only reason I can think of for it being this way was they had storage under the platform.

You live a very sheltered life. Here in the Midwest, there are many jr. H.S.'s in the rural areas that were originally H.S.'s that were built at WPA projects during the depression. There is stage on one side of the court and the seats on the other side of the court. The courts are only about 70 feet long and only about 40 feet wide. The benches and scorer's table are on the stage.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:27pm
M.A.S.H.

Have this problem at our local Jr. High. The scorers table is on top of the stage which overviews the whole gym. Although I don't recall ever having any problems with it, just looks a little odd. Well other than trying to get the official book to check it! So far so good (knock on wood, I have a game there next week!).

T Jones
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

Here in the Midwest, there are many jr. H.S.'s in the rural areas that were originally H.S.'s that were built at WPA projects during the depression. MTD, Sr.
Other Mark - really, how many of those reading this board know what your reference to the depression means, let alone the WPA. It's only us grandpas who get this.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 12:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

Here in the Midwest, there are many jr. H.S.'s in the rural areas that were originally H.S.'s that were built at WPA projects during the depression. MTD, Sr.
Other Mark - really, how many of those reading this board know what your reference to the depression means, let alone the WPA. It's only us grandpas who get this.
Hmmm. Depression? Doesn't that sometimes indicate the need for medication?

WPA? Women's Pool Association? Or Wallyball Players' Association?

Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
There's one high school here where the table in on a platform that's at the level of, and only accessible from, the top row of the bleachers---a good 8 feet off the ground.

I always try to make my partner go check the book when I end up there...

Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 09:09am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

WPA was the acroynmn for Works Progress Administration and it was on of FDR's New Deal Programs during the Great Depression. I hope that I do not have to explain FDR, New Deal, Great Depression, and Greatest Generations to everybody. But I would hope that everybody studied US history in H.S.

MTD, Sr.

[Edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. on Dec 3rd, 2004 at 09:17 AM]
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 04:21pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

The Junior College I do game stats at, the campus with the gym used to be an old All-Girls school. The gym is on the second floor, with the locker rooms slightly below gym-floor level and the stands (eith room for maybe 130-150 people) are above the locker rooms. As a result, the scorers table is about 8 feet off the court. And with the close quarters, I've had to work games with avid (and sometimes rabid ) fans only a couple feet away.

We haven't had too many problems since officials know they have to look up for eye contact with the game crew, but one particular game, the visiting team coach was complaining that we were intentionally ignoring his subs (Gee, if they don't let us know they are down there, we can't buzz them in). So for the next game, I taped a sign on the wall to remind subs that per rule, they are required to give their number to the scorer (and thus get our attention).

Supposedly, there are plans to construct a new gym, but with recent budget cuts and crunches, I think that may be on hold for the forseeable future.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball