The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   All these test (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16737-all-these-test.html)

GarthB Fri Dec 03, 2004 06:11pm

<b>Bottom line is that all state associations belong to the NFHS. A few state associations are run by IAABO chapters, but they also must belong to the NFHS and follow NFHS rules and rulings. </b>

and

<b>According to the NFHS web site, the FED lists member associations and have a presence in all 50 states. I don't know of any state that doesn't use NFHS rules as a basis for their high school basketball competition, including Washington.</b>

A presence is one thing. The state using FED rules in all sports is another.

I believe Texas uses NCAA rules for football. I believe Rhode Island and one or two other eastern states use OBR for high school baseball. I am not personally aware of any states that do not use FED for basketball, but it would not surprise me if there were.

There is no requirement that all states MUST use FED rules.

Jurassic Referee Fri Dec 03, 2004 07:19pm

Re: Re: Thanks!

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
[/B]
Actually, Rick, very few officials are associated with IAABO. I'd say that the majority of officials in the country may not have even heard of IAABO. IAABO is an independant officials' association that has no standing whatsovever except in a few northeastern states. All states have their own association in place that they use to run and oversee the <font color = red>basketball programs,</font> in their state. By mutual agreement, these associations all use a common set of rules- those issued by the NFHS. Those NFHS rules may then be interpreted by each individual association, but final interpretation should always lie with the NFHS. As I said, a few states have chosen IAABO bodies to be their governing state association. That means that those IAABO bodies can then interpret NFHS rules in that particular state only. However those IAABO bodies cannot issue their own rules and are not supposed to vary from the master NFHS rules without NFHS permission. IAABO has no power anywhere, and never has, that I know of, to either make or change rules.

Bottom line is that all state associations belong to the NFHS. A few state associations are run by IAABO chapters, but they also must belong to the NFHS and follow NFHS rules and rulings. [/B][/QUOTE]Garth, there's my complete, original answer above- not just a part of it like you posted. Note that I was talking about basketball programs only. IAABO has nothing to do with any other sport than basketball too. I never said or wrote anywhere that the FED had sole jurisdiction in all states in other sports. The points that I have made concern basketball only, and I have made sure that I put that in my responses.

I'm kinda unsure of what point you are trying to make now. If you are talking about other sports than basketball, yes, I was aware that states might use other rules than FED. If you're talking about basketball, I'm not aware of any states that use any other ruleset than FED as their basis. If you think that is wrong, let me know why it is wrong.

Rick Durkee Sat Dec 04, 2004 02:12am

Quizzical

Mark,

I am starting to get the picture, but Mark, is the quizzical put out by NFHS or IAABO?

Rick

RookieDude Sat Dec 04, 2004 05:56am

Quote:

Originally posted by Rick Durkee
...rule in New Hampshire that requires the use of mouthguards by all high school players.
Interesting...

I was just talking to a Doctor today about this. He highly recommends mouthguards for athletes in any sport that has a potential for contact.
Not just for the obvious dental concerns...but, to cut down on the possibility of concussions.

BTW, the reason I had a conversation with the good Doctor was because my son was seeing him for a referral to a good oral surgeon. He wasn't wearing a mouthguard when he made contact with his head (with helmet on) and his dirtbike handlebars while racing MX.
He goes in for a root canal tomorrow.

som44 Sat Dec 04, 2004 08:20am

Rick, by the way Board 118 here--North/Central NH

GarthB Sat Dec 04, 2004 01:45pm

Originally posted by Rick Durkee
<b>...rule in New Hampshire that requires the use of mouthguards by all high school players.</b>

I see that Massachusetts also requires mouthguards in Basketball.

[Edited by GarthB on Dec 4th, 2004 at 01:47 PM]

South GA BBall Ref Tue Dec 14, 2004 03:36pm

Mark:

A small test is a nut! Thought I'd add a little humor

lrpalmer3 Tue Dec 14, 2004 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally posted by South GA BBall Ref
Mark:

A small test is a nut! Thought I'd add a little humor

Please don't feed the animals (encourage the pun-sters).

Mark Dexter Tue Dec 14, 2004 04:44pm

I know that IAABO is the only game in town in Connecticut. The local boards handle all of the assignments statewide (with a few exceptions for private schools, I believe).

While most IAABO members work high school games, in the end it is simply an association of any "approved" basketball officials. They generally don't assign college games, but I know that the local IAABO board has at least a few college refs (D-I through JUCO), and one NBA ref.

ref18 Tue Dec 14, 2004 06:01pm

Just out of curiosity, how many of our posters belong to IAABO??

DownTownTonyBrown Tue Dec 14, 2004 06:31pm

Garth and others, I can't imagine IAABO applying to any other sports...

International
Association of
Approved
BASKETBALL
Officials

I attended on of their clinics a dozen years ago at Washington State University.