The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   The View from the Other Side (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16703-view-other-side.html)

rainmaker Wed Dec 01, 2004 02:11am

I got a ticket today. A "citation". For committing a "motor vehicle violation." My registration is past time to re-up, so I'm "out of compliance" with the law. Two things really bug me about it. First of all, while we were sitting there diddling around, at least three cars blatantly ran red lights at a busy intersection with lots of pedestrians. Secondly, it took nearly half an hour. What the heck were those two guys doing in the police car all that time? At least part of the time, I could see in my rear view mirror that they were eating. Eating!! While my whole afternoon schedule is getting chopped up into little pieces and spit out on the floor. Then when the officer finally gets out of his car and brings back all my paperwork, including the ticket, he tries to be "friendly" or something. "So, what'd did you think of that OSU game?" I just stared. He starts the verbal fumbling thing, "I mean, I saw your Oregon State Beavers sticker..." I said, "It's my son's sticker. I'm sure he watched the game. Would you like to talk to him?"

I learned an important lesson. It doesn't help to be falsely jolly with the coaches or players. They don't get it, and they don't appreciate it. Just like I didn't appreciate being "cheered" up by the policeman.

zebraman Wed Dec 01, 2004 02:28am

Sorry to hear you got cited rainmaker. Most people can sense the "false jolly" stuff. But I think the genuinely nice and cheery (and happy to be here reffing this game tonight) works well.

Z

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 01, 2004 07:15am

Never woulda happened if wimmen weren't allowed to drive in the first place, just like God intended. It's not......natural somehow.

And don't get me started on letting them vote.

ChrisSportsFan Wed Dec 01, 2004 09:00am

very interesting observation, guess i better stop eating when i go to the table to report a foul. i never really thought about it that way.

ref18 Wed Dec 01, 2004 09:04am

So that's what they're doing, eating.

The one time I was pulled over by a state-trooper, well my friend was driving, but I was in the car, they shined that spotlight on us so when we looked back we didn't have a clue as to what the officer was doing because we were blinded by the light. But you're right, on the other side, it's amazing how the stuff we do that we think will help calm someone down or cheer them up really doesn't.

alexpufhal Wed Dec 01, 2004 09:16am

The delay...

You probably shouldn't be so critical of your situation. In most states depending on the length of time a vehicle is not registered it is an arrestable offense. Some states are as short as 30 days over a valid date.

The delay was most likely caused because of communications searching your DMV records for the proper reports and maybe even calling your local municpal office to see if their records were more current than the state records, a common occurance in some states.

They were trying to do you a favor, it takes time. Be in compliance on the law and you have nothing to worry about.

Forksref Wed Dec 01, 2004 09:24am

This reminds me of people saying inappropriate things to those who have lost a loved one. We put our foot in our mouth because we are uncomfortable with the situation. A simple, "I am sorry," is usually the best thing to say.

Dan_ref Wed Dec 01, 2004 09:34am

Re: The delay...

Quote:

Originally posted by alexpufhal

They were trying to do you a favor, it takes time. Be in compliance on the law and you have nothing to worry about.

Speaking for myself, I've never gotten stopped for having my registration & inspection stickers up to date. I don't know how it works in Oregon but that's how it works in my area.

Brad Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:23am

You may be able to get out of the ticket by getting your registration and inspection taken care of. Call the court and see if they'll waive the ticket cost if you bring in your up to date registration and inspection sticker.

The inspection sticker on my car expired in April (oops!)... The dealership wanted $400 to fix the emergency brake on my car so that it would pass inspection. I live in Houston -- there are not any hills here -- so, um, NO. I figure that a ticket for the expired registration can't be more than $125 or so, so even if I get a couple of tickets I'm ahead :)

Of course, I need to find one of those places that is just going to give me the sticker without worrying about thinkings like emergency brakes!

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 01, 2004 01:33pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
I got a ticket today. A "citation". For committing a "motor vehicle violation." My registration is past time to re-up, so I'm "out of compliance" with the law.

Juulie - I didn't realize you were a scofflaw, you nasty person, you. Was this in City of Portland or just Multnomah county? With the new Portland tax being considered, it's a good thing you weren't talking on your cell phone at the time. :p