The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

The situation I saw at a game the other night has thrown me for a loop. The home team begins their warmups by having 2 lines of 6 players on each side of the lane. Two players at a time run down to the backboard, jump as high as they can and slap the backboard as hard as they can with both hands.

I remember when I played we often had a warm up drill where we would go down to the backboard and jump up and down touching the backboard each time until we got to 10 times and no one thought anything about it.

The play that I described in the first paragraph made me think of Techs, in fact, multiple techs. I asked some Big Dog officials I worked a game with and they said it was nothing. I asked another Big Dog official today and he said it sounded like Techs. So, I've come to you for a definitive answer.

Looking in the Rule Book, I didn't really find anything to back up the Tech position. Looking in the Case book, I found this comment relating to 10.3.5: "A player who strikes either backboard so forcefully it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player...may be assessed a technical foul pursuant to Rule 10-3-7."

I truly appreciate any and all input.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

That rule might be the one that you're gonna have to enforce. Although if this is an organized drill, I'd go talk to the coach nicely and explain the rule to him and ask him to desist. Starting the game off shooting free throws is never a good thing.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

ReadytoRef,

I'm quite certain that the rule you cite is intended for situations of slapping the backboard during a game. Personally, I wouldn't T the kids... not only because there is no rule to support it, but also because it ain't a big deal in my book. However, if it bothers you, just ask the coach to request that his players just touch the backboard rather than slapping it.

Z
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

I'm having trouble seeing the problem with this if it a warm up drill that everyone is doing. It's not like it is a dunking drill. I thought the slapping rule was for during a game like zebraman said.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
However, if it bothers you, just ask the coach to request that his players just touch the backboard rather than slapping it.
...and then the coach asks you...

"Why, is there a rule that says we can't do this drill?"

Richland, WA
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
However, if it bothers you, just ask the coach to request that his players just touch the backboard rather than slapping it.
...and then the coach asks you...

"Why, is there a rule that says we can't do this drill?"

Like I said, it doesn't bother me and I can't see me asking.

But if it was so hard that it was shaking the backboard and it bothers you, just say, "well I'd like to start the game without any broken hands or broken glass." 99% of coaches I know would just say, "no problem, I don't know why they think they need to do that."

Z
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReadyToRef
Looking in the Rule Book, I didn't really find anything to back up the Tech position. Looking in the Case book, I found this comment relating to 10.3.5: "A player who strikes either backboard so forcefully it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player...may be assessed a technical foul pursuant to Rule 10-3-7."
[/B]
Without having access to my books, my memory is that you'll find the answer to your query in the definition of "player." Most people's sensibility is that it pertains to action *during* the game because -- again, if memory serves -- during warmups there are no "players" yet.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I my humble opinion, as long as they are not attracting attention to themselves or trying to embarrass the opposing team, I would probably tell them to take it easy on the glass. That just like slapping the floor. Most of the time they will chill out.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 09:24am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bgtg19
Without having access to my books, my memory is that you'll find the answer to your query in the definition of "player." Most people's sensibility is that it pertains to action *during* the game because -- again, if memory serves -- during warmups there are no "players" yet.
Works for me, bgtg19.