The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Inbounds pass (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16692-inbounds-pass.html)

Cyber-Ref Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:53pm

An inbounds pass touches only the net first before touching a player or the court:

A) after a made basket

B) on a spot throw-in from the baseline, or from the side

What are the rulings?

Thanks

Redhouse Tue Nov 30, 2004 01:02pm

clarification

I am not understanding what the question is here. It is not a penalty for the ball to touch the net.

SamIAm Tue Nov 30, 2004 01:06pm

I understand the question and there is not a penalty for the ball hitting the net, ever.

tjones1 Tue Nov 30, 2004 01:09pm

The only violation would be if the player throwing the ball inbounds touches the ball after it touches the net and nothing else.

Cyber-Ref Tue Nov 30, 2004 01:53pm

Ok,

Same scenario except the ball touches:

A) The rim and or bracket

B) The basket support system that lies inside the inbounds plane

C) The basket support system that lies outside the inbounds plane

D) The front of the back board

E) The back of the back board

F) The side of the back board

DJ Tue Nov 30, 2004 02:08pm

Some gyms...

Some of the smaller gyms have side baskets with nets that hang over the court. Technically these are out of bounds. However we ususally talk with the coaches before the game and if they are in agreement we will not blow the ball dead if it just grazes the net without having an obvious affect on the ball. No need for another whistle if it has no bearing on the game. Works well and everyone has been very cooperative because it is agreed on before the fact.

SamIAm Tue Nov 30, 2004 03:24pm

I agree with BushRef from A to F.

Camron Rust Tue Nov 30, 2004 05:52pm

Quote:

Originally posted by SamIAm
I agree with BushRef from A to F.
Now to add a little physics to this thread...

When the ball hits the backboard, how can you tell which surface was hit (aside from the obvious cases)?

For a ball thrown from behind the backboard that hits a near "corner/edge" of the backboard, you can tell which surface it hit by the direction it rebounds. If it at all rebounds towards the baseline, it hit the back. Otherwise, it hit the side/bottom.

For a ball thrown from behind the backboard that hits a far "corner/edge" of the backboard, it hit the back.

You don't have to see where it hit at all, you can deduce from the path of the ball...which is much easier to see.

A ball thrown from the front of the plane of the backboard, even just slightly, will never hit the back of the backboard without first hitting something else (short of some serious english).

ref18 Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:57pm

Re: Some gyms...

Quote:

Originally posted by DJ
Some of the smaller gyms have side baskets with nets that hang over the court. Technically these are out of bounds. However we ususally talk with the coaches before the game and if they are in agreement we will not blow the ball dead if it just grazes the net without having an obvious affect on the ball. No need for another whistle if it has no bearing on the game. Works well and everyone has been very cooperative because it is agreed on before the fact.
I do the complete opposite when I ref. At the beginning of the game, I'll instruct the captains that any part of the side baskets are out of bounds. Also I'll move any sideline throw-ins clear of the basket so the kids don't hit the basket with the ball and have a violation called.

100 Left