The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 03:58am
M.A.S.H.

I was watching a HS V tourney this morning and a fan was complaining about not getting calls on both ends (haven't we all heard this one! ) Anyways, here's what he said: "Come on ref, do you not have a pea at our end?" I just started laughing! Answer: Nope, don't have one at either end, good old Fox40!!
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 05:01am
Official Forum Member

Here's mine from today. While working the 3rd quarter of a GV game between two of the weaker teams in the area, I allow yet another "small" traveling violation to go unpenalized as the player crosses midcourt. I end up as the C opposite the table. In this gym all fans are on this side. Sitting right there in the front row are two coaches from a couple of the stronger teams in town that I have good relations with.
I guess they came to scout the game, but had obviously become bored as they started commenting to me!
One asked, "Did you miss that one, too?" I didn't think he was being rude, merely teasing and having some fun, so I ignored him.
The other said, "You know it is okay to call a travel on the team ahead by 15, right?" While thinking [just wait 'til you're ahead by 15 coach!], I continued to ignore them. One of my partners now called a shooting foul, so I remained in this location. During the first attempt I heard, "Do you just completely ignore the fans?"

To that I responded with, "Nah, it's just that I've gotten so used to ignoring you guys when you are on the opposite side of the court that it's become second nature."

And yes, they did laugh.