The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

I had a game this weekend where a team was winning by 30 with about 5 minutes left in the game and was still pressing. I wanted to call an unsportsmanlike T on the coach but was not sure this would fall within the bounds of unsportsmanlike conduct. In my opinion it most certainly is but was wondering what everyone else thinks.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 01:32pm
In Memoriam

Don't even think of it. There's no rule against what the coach was doing, and you would never be able to justify a "T" just because a team is pressing. It's not up to us to dictate the type of defense that they gotta play. Just keep calling the game evenly, and get outa there. Maybe the coach wanted to work on his press under game situations- who knows?
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

not unsportsmanlike by rule, but morally probably.... what i do in a situation like that is try to really look for fouls if they are still pressing....if they touch them and it could possibly be a foul, i'm calling it...if i call 3 or 4 in a row and the other team gets to go down and shoot free throws this usually gets the point across, if not, it makes for a long game, but helps out the other team a little and if he starts to complain about it then you have a reason for the unsportsmanlike conduct on the coach!! just my opinion, i know it's not good to look for stuff to call, but if it's getting out of hand,score wise, i try to make the coach realize that is enough!!!

[Edited by jritchie on Nov 22nd, 2004 at 01:35 PM]
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with you totally - BUT I don't see where there is cause to call an unsporting T.

You might try to have a word with the coach or one of his assistants at a dead ball and if he still doesn't want to call off the press then I would enforce any defensive contact in the press as a personal foul. He will get the message that way.
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
not unsportsmanlike by rule, but morally probably.... what i do in a situation like that is try to really look for fouls if they are still pressing....if they touch them it's a foul...if i call 3 or 4 in a row and the other team gets to go down and shoot free throws this usually gets the point across, if not, it makes for a long game, but helps out the other team a little and if he starts to complain about it then you have a reason for the unsportsmanlike conduct on the coach!!
Do you call the same "touch" foul on the other end against the other team?
Official Forum Member

I agree that the coach didn't need to be pressing at that point, but under the rules, we cannot call this unsportsmanlike. I have heard some say that you could nicely suggest that a coach pull off the press, but its my feeling that if we don't want them to tell us how to call a game, we shouldn't try to tell them how to coach it. Another strategy would be to start calling every nit-picky foul on the press until the coach calls it off himself, but again this isn't something I'd do. Pretty much you have to grin a bear it and go on to the next game. As someone on the board says, "get in, get it done, go home".
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

My take...It is not the responsibility of the coach of the winning team to keep his margin of victory at a level acceptable to all those at the game, be they officials, spectators, workers, or members of the other team. It is, however, the responsibility of the coaches and/or players on the losing team. The winning team may have been working on different types of pressess...or they may have non-starters honing their press skills.

To be pressing that late in the game, when up by that large of margin, may leave a bad taste in the mouths of some. But is it unsportsmanlike to the point of meriting a T...nope.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

like i said, i know it's probably not the right thing to do, but if i'm calling touch fouls on one end, i may let a touch foul go on the other, but i'm not going to let someone get killed just because they are down 40 pts...
This is just in jr.high, Jv or some varsity level games, never would do in college, let them practice all they want too...
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Wearin' Stripes
I agree with you totally - BUT I don't see where there is cause to call an unsporting T.

You might try to have a word with the coach or one of his assistants at a dead ball and if he still doesn't want to call off the press then I would enforce any defensive contact in the press as a personal foul. He will get the message that way.
Why?

Usually these blowouts give bench players an opportunity to see floor time. They deserve a fairly called game too.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

totally understand that situation, but then there is the 2 or 3 starters still in the game and they are trying to set some stupid record for pts or steals or some stupid thing like that... if they are subs, that is understandable that they need to work on stuff too, that is a different situation, but i can't stand when the starters are in and subs are sitting over on the bench and don't get in when the score is really lop sided..
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
totally understand that situation, but then there is the 2 or 3 starters still in the game and they are trying to set some stupid record for pts or steals or some stupid thing like that... if they are subs, that is understandable that they need to work on stuff too, that is a different situation, but i can't stand when the starters are in and subs are sitting over on the bench and don't get in when the score is really lop sided..
Why?

Who cares who's playing?
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

i know it really shouldn't matter to me as long as the clock is running, but for some reason its just one of those pet peeves of mine!!! if your going to run up the score, do it with subs!!

a few years back we had a game that was 215-28, and then another one that was 205-70..... that was a little ridiculous!!!!!
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 02:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

My take - standard HS game, do nothing. Kids rec league, ask the coach if he still needs to have the press on. You'd be surprised at how many coaches don't realize what they're doing (ever ).
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 02:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
i know it really shouldn't matter to me as long as the clock is running, but for some reason its just one of those pet peeves of mine!!! if your going to run up the score, do it with subs!!

a few years back we had a game that was 215-28, and then another one that was 205-70..... that was a little ridiculous!!!!!
Too damned bad if you don't like it. Your job is to officiate a game, not be a judge of character.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

opinions vary!