The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

I had my first game (besides a scrimmage) of my officiating career last night. (My 18th birthday.) I had two 8th grade s games. It went pretty well after I moved the s out from directly under the basket. (I still am deaf from them shrieking in my ear while I was the lead. ) I do have two questions about things that came up.

1. At the start of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters don't you have a AP throw in across from the table? My partner (another 1st year official) wanted to give the ball to the home team because they did not win the tip. The arrow pointed to the visitors because of several jump balls. I successfully convinced to go with the arrow

2. While A1 was free throws B1 on several occasions yelled as A1 released her shot. I talked with my partner between games and he said not to worry about it since the crowd was yelling too and B1 was behind the three point line and was not in A's ear.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 09:53pm
M.A.S.H.

Congrats!!

Quote:
Originally posted by gostars
I had my first game (besides a scrimmage) of my officiating career last night. (My 18th birthday.) I had two 8th grade s games. It went pretty well after I moved the s out from directly under the basket. (I still am deaf from them shrieking in my ear while I was the lead. ) I do have two questions about things that came up.

1. At the start of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters don't you have a AP throw in across from the table? My partner (another 1st year official) wanted to give the ball to the home team because they did not win the tip. The arrow pointed to the visitors because of several jump balls. I successfully convinced to go with the arrow

2. While A1 was free throws B1 on several occasions yelled as A1 released her shot. I talked with my partner between games and he said not to worry about it since the crowd was yelling too and B1 was behind the three point line and was not in A's ear.
1. Bingo! You look at the possesion arrow to determine who's ball it is to begin the 2nd, 3rd and 4th qrt. However, remember if you are the R, to make the sure table switches the arrow at half time before you go into the locker room.

2. Shut him up! White talks to white and blue talks to blue (or whatever the colors are). IF he was in A's ear, it would clearly be a lane violation.

3. Things only get better for you! Congrats on your 1st game. Keep working on things and have some fun out there. I know being your first year that's easier said than done since you're worried about getting everything right. But, try and relax and call what ya see! (Sounds easy, huh? lol). Take care and have a good season.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 09:55pm
M.A.S.H.

Thumbs up Forgot

Happy Birthday!!
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Congrats on your first game and happy birthday!! You're off to a great start!

You've already received the answers to your questions so I won't add there except to say that the more you study your rules book the better you'll be able to deal with such issues. It can be tough when you have two rookie officials. I remember how THRILLED I was to work with a veteran official when I was starting out. You'll get that same thrill too, and when you do, I'm sure he/she will have lots of VERY constructive tips. It's a terrific way to learn!

Take care!!

Paul
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Congrats!!

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1

2. Shut him up! White talks to white and blue talks to blue (or whatever the colors are). IF he was in A's ear, it would clearly be a lane violation.
That was my thought but I didn't want to argue with my partner. I remember something in the rule book about disconcertion. I thought that would apply but he disagreed.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

First of all, Happy Birthday, now the way I understood it, you have to be at least 18 in your area to officiate basketball, or was it purely coincedental???

I know my board says you've gotta be at least 16 (I started at 15), does anyone else's association have age restrictions?
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Oh yeah, one other piece of advice i was gonna mention,

That was disconcertion, anyone either sitting on the bench or a player from team B cannot make any noise during a free throw. By doing that it puts A at a disadvantage.

Just because they're vetran officials doesn't make them always right. If you don't agree with something a vetran official told you, smile and nod as he's talking, then go home, look it up in the book, or post about it on this site. If the vetran's right, then add it into your game, if he isn't, make sure you know how to do it propery and make sure that becomes part of your game.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 01:23am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
First of all, Happy Birthday, now the way I understood it, you have to be at least 18 in your area to officiate basketball, or was it purely coincedental???

I know my board says you've gotta be at least 16 (I started at 15), does anyone else's association have age restrictions?
It is 17 in Illinois.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 01:30am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

What?????!!?!!?! You weren't perfect your first game out there?

How dare you referee.

Happy Birthday, and welcome to the jungle: we've got fun and games.

PS: Nice job.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you did great. Our assignor would never put a first year official with another first year official on their first real game. You were put in a difficult situation and it sounds like you handled it well. Good job.

Z
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 05:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Happy B-day and welcome to the wonderful world of officiating!

My two sense!
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Okay, I found the rule. NFHS 9-1-5 states, "No opponent shall disconcert the free thrower." Would you apply this right away, or tell them to knock it off first (especially if she made the first one)?
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
I would tell them first

My two sense!
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18

Either the state or my local chapter (not sure who's rule it is, probably TASO's) requires you to be 18 to become a member. However, I joined our local chapter 2 months before my BD. They said that since by birthday was the week the season started it didn't really matter. I think that it was just the way the schedule worked out that I had my first game on my birthday.

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I have another double header Monday. This time it will be 8th grade boys and 8th grade girls. My partner will be another first year official. We were told this would not happen but we are about 80 officials short (I assume that's the reason).

[Edited by gostars on Nov 26th, 2004 at 03:00 PM]
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 10:45am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I have another double header Monday. This time it will be 8th grade boys and a girls. My partner will be another first year official. We were told this would not happen but we are about 80 officials short (I assume that's the reason).
You'll be fine. If you have something you aren't sure of, do exactly what you did last game. Get with your partner and talk it over. If you are still unsure after you've made a call, when you go into the locker room at half or in between games, look it up. Good luck!

T Jones