The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Substitution Situation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16627-substitution-situation.html)

Mregor Wed Nov 24, 2004 08:43pm

Girls varsity (both their and my second game of the season). During a dead ball, Team A has 3 subs that are waiting to be beckoned in. I bring them in. 4 went out and sat down on bench. Being the observant official that I am, :D I signal to my partner that we only have 4 so he doesn't admister the throw in. Coach A realizes and looks down her bench and sees A1 sitting there. She informs A1 that she wasn't supposed to come out and wants to send her back in. As trail I go to coach and tell her she can't come back because the clock has to run. Coach is OK with that and gets another player. Meanwhile, my partner (never worked with before) comes to me and tells me that she can because she was not replaced. OK, I'll buy that she was not bench personnel because her sub never entered, but I tell him that she left he court for an unauthorized reason and if she comes back on, I'd have to "T" her. We briefly discuss and since he tossed it, I let the girl come in without penalty. Opposing coach was silent on the subject. This all took about 10-15 seconds so no real delay or conference. I then discussed this with a group of officials I respect, and I was unanimously told to let her in without penalty. Am I that far off base here or do I need to find a different set of officials to hang around with? :)

Roger

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Nov 24, 2004 09:02pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mregor
Girls varsity (both their and my second game of the season). During a dead ball, Team A has 3 subs that are waiting to be beckoned in. I bring them in. 4 went out and sat down on bench. Being the observant official that I am, :D I signal to my partner that we only have 4 so he doesn't admister the throw in. Coach A realizes and looks down her bench and sees A1 sitting there. She informs A1 that she wasn't supposed to come out and wants to send her back in. As trail I go to coach and tell her she can't come back because the clock has to run. Coach is OK with that and gets another player. Meanwhile, my partner (never worked with before) comes to me and tells me that she can because she was not replaced. OK, I'll buy that she was not bench personnel because her sub never entered, but I tell him that she left he court for an unauthorized reason and if she comes back on, I'd have to "T" her. We briefly discuss and since he tossed it, I let the girl come in without penalty. Opposing coach was silent on the subject. This all took about 10-15 seconds so no real delay or conference. I then discussed this with a group of officials I respect, and I was unanimously told to let her in without penalty. Am I that far off base here or do I need to find a different set of officials to hang around with? :)

Roger

The group of officials your respect gave you good advice. A1 did not leave the court for an unauthorized reason. She was only confused about whether she was replaced or not; her "unauthorized reason" as you describe it was not to deceive an opponent. You and your partner did the correct thing in counting players and not making the ball become live because you didn't have enough players on the court.

MTD, Sr.