The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I need someone to describe to me a situation that would fall under rule 10-1-5b. It won't be "not being available for a throw-in", because of 2-9-3. So what else is there?
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

OOB throw in: Place ball on floor "at the disposal" of team A who is still in the huddle. After a count of 5, Team A violates. Then you place on the floor for team B who is also still huddling. After a count of 5 team B violates. Again for team A. If they don't show the second time the technical foul is called...

That my understanding anyway...

[Edited by tharbert on Nov 23rd, 2004 at 11:36 AM]
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
b. Delay the game by preventing the ball from being made promptly live or from being put in play. See 7-5-1 and 8-1-2 for the resumption-of-play procedure to use after a time-out or the intermission between quarters. The procedure is used prior to charging a technical foul in these specific situations.

My guess would be if someone kicks or pushes the ball out of bounds away from the person that is throwing it in. That would be a delay.

or

ART. 1 . . . After a time-out (as in 7-4-4) or the intermission between any quarter (as in 6-2-2), the resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay. The timer will sound the authorized warning signal and final signal. The admin-istering official will then sound the whistle to indicate play will resume. In each situation:

If team a or b does come back on the court after a time or or intermission between quarters or during a free throw.

Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Or refuses to give ball to official when it becomes dead, deliberately tosses it the other way, etc.
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I need someone to describe to me a situation that would fall under rule 10-1-5b. It won't be "not being available for a throw-in", because of 2-9-3. So what else is there?
10-1-5b prevents TEAM delay in situations other than when RPP is applicable. That is why it is listed under 10-1 TEAM TECHNICAL. The first three answers given are therefore not right.
Tharbert describes a RPP, IREFU2 gives an example of a PLAYER delaying the game which would be penalized under 10-3-6a if it is not after a goal when a warning for delay would be appropriate, finally TimTaylor also gives a 10-3-6a example--a PLAYER delaying the game.

A situation that would fall under 10-1-5b is when a team fails to occupy both marked lane spaces closest to the endline when the opponent is shooting a free throw and it is not following a time-out or intermission. Since the official cannot place the ball at the disposal of the free thrower until those spaces are occupied, this team is preventing the ball from being made promptly live.

This would result in a team technical foul for delay of game.
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

OK Nevadaref, I'll bite since it's a really slow day in paradise...

You are certainly right with your example but I disagree that I'm "not right." While RPP for throw-ins and free throws may end in technical fouls, I think 10.1.5b identifies those fouls as team fouls. 10.5.1b further defines the fouls just as 10.1.5d further defines a team technical foul for batting the ball after getting a warning per 4.46. If the ball is batted away in a manner described by IREFU2, I believe a personal technical foul per 10.3.6a may fit.
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
10-1-5b prevents TEAM delay in situations other than when RPP is applicable. That is why it is listed under 10-1 TEAM TECHNICAL. The first three answers given are therefore not right.
Tharbert describes a RPP, IREFU2 gives an example of a PLAYER delaying the game which would be penalized under 10-3-6a if it is not after a goal when a warning for delay would be appropriate, finally TimTaylor also gives a 10-3-6a example--a PLAYER delaying the game.

A situation that would fall under 10-1-5b is when a team fails to occupy both marked lane spaces closest to the endline when the opponent is shooting a free throw and it is not following a time-out or intermission. Since the official cannot place the ball at the disposal of the free thrower until those spaces are occupied, this team is preventing the ball from being made promptly live.

This would result in a team technical foul for delay of game.
My bad.....yes the examples I gave were for 10-3-6-a...didn't have a book in front of me at the time. Your example is a good one!
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 04:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tharbert
OK Nevadaref, I'll bite since it's a really slow day in paradise...

You are certainly right with your example but I disagree that I'm "not right." While RPP for throw-ins and free throws may end in technical fouls, I think 10.1.5b identifies those fouls as team fouls. 10.5.1b further defines the fouls just as 10.1.5d further defines a team technical foul for batting the ball after getting a warning per 4.46. If the ball is batted away in a manner described by IREFU2, I believe a personal technical foul per 10.3.6a may fit.
In your case I should have said that you didn't provide rainmaker with what she wanted. I took her post to be an inquiry specifically about the first sentence: "Delay the game by preventing the ball from being made promptly live or from being put in play."
It was my belief that she wanted an example of something that this sentence would provide punishment for OTHER THAN RPP situations, since that is addressed in the next sentence. Also, I know that she just wrote a two part piece on RPP for the pay side of the site.
That's all that I meant.

Of course, you are right that the T which would result on a repeat warning or after the RPP is used is a TEAM technical, but can you think of another situation besides the one that I provided above which results from delay and is not a consequence of either of those two situations?