The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   "Re-TipOff" (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16607-re-tipoff.html)

johnyd Tue Nov 23, 2004 09:43pm

2 man scrimmage. Instructor tailing me. 2nd year guy. Partner throws tip. It is batted overtop everybodies head, and 2 girls take off in pursuit, I follow. Just before the basket they both lung for the ball and both make contact at the same time and ball proceeds out of bounds.
I call jump ball and give it back to my partner for retoss.
My Instructor says, "No, you don't ever do that. If you don't know who touched it last pick one and get the game started."
Unless someone can give me an explanation, If it ever happens again, I am probably calling it the same way?? Feedback please.

Just Curious Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:12pm

I believe that the correct response is to retoss with the two lasses, that last touch the ball before going oob, as the jumpers. HS

JugglingReferee Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:22pm

Quote:

Originally posted by johnyd
2 man scrimmage. Instructor tailing me. 2nd year guy. Partner throws tip. It is batted overtop everybodies head, and 2 girls take off in pursuit, I follow. Just before the basket they both lung for the ball and both make contact at the same time and ball proceeds out of bounds.
My Instructor says, "No, you don't ever do that. If you don't know who touched it last pick one and get the game started."
Unless someone can give me an explanation, If it ever happens again, I am probably calling it the same way?? Feedback please.

Good call. If the ball goes off two people simultaneously and the arrow has not yet been set, it's a re-jump between the two players involved.

"Picking one" is, in my mind, cow patties. Giving the ball to one team over the other when they didn't earn it is unethical.

Kelvin green Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:36am

Making stuff up especially on the first play of the game is a NO NO!

zebraman Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:41am

I don't know too many 2nd year refs who make real good instructors. Kinda like this one.

Z

RookieDude Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:55am

Quote:

Originally posted by johnyd

Who is the 2nd year guy...you or your instructor?

BTW...as Just Curious said, re-toss with the 2 players involved in the action that would cause a re-toss...not necessarily the two original jumpers.

mdray Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:01pm

ridiculous to "pick one"....both players equally hustle their tails off to get the ball and this evaluator says to reward one of them?! Re-jump with those two hustlers

brianp134 Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:36pm

You made the right call. I disagree with your instructor on that play.

tomegun Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:37pm

What's up B?

Dudly Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:49pm

Pick one? How about rock, paper, scissors?

Junker Wed Nov 24, 2004 02:11pm

Not an issue in Iowa. We flip a coin for ladies. I'm hoping no one in our girls union sees this situation. We'll never get them to jump.

Mark Padgett Wed Nov 24, 2004 04:28pm

I think in this case, you should have them compare grade point averages or SAT scores to see who gets the ball. Of course, if this was NCAA, they could compare paychecks.

mdray Wed Nov 24, 2004 05:41pm

of course, you could resort to the way it was in women's basketball many, many years ago -- whenever the ball went out of bounds, the first person to get to the ball got the throw-in....made for some crazy chases!!

AirForceDude Wed Nov 24, 2004 06:55pm

Johnyd
In case you need the reference, casebook "6.4.1 SITUATION C" discusses this exact case.

imaref Wed Nov 24, 2004 07:59pm

"Heads, I Win....Tails, You Lose....."

"Good Call....Johnyd!"

Your instructor is a WIMP....and needs remedial work!

wl