The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Wink

NFHS HS. I don't have my book with me, but this call is killing me, please help!

Made a call tonight which I am sure I read in the Rules Book. I thought staff was gonna have to call the police.

Team A is down 1 when B1 fouls A1 driving to the basket. I am the T. 2.2 seconds left on the clock. Two shots for A1, 1st FT is good. Here is where it gets ugly. As the shot is released, my P in the C blows his whistle for a violation on the shooter. As the ball is on the rim in the cylinder, B from the low block, jumps and knocks the ball off the rim. Instinctively, I blow my whistle. I called goaltending on B. You know the rest, basket is good, inbounded by B, long shot by B no good, game over. My P's acted like I was infected with some kind of virus.

The call makes no sense to me now that I think about it!

The ball was blown dead on the violation by the shooter, how can there be goaltending?

Let me stop before I go crazy!

HELP, PLEASE!

Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 12:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee

Team A is down 1 when B1 fouls A1 driving to the basket. I am the T. 2.2 seconds left on the clock. Two shots for A1, 1st FT is good. Here is where it gets ugly. As the shot is released, my P in the C blows his whistle for a violation on the shooter. As the ball is on the rim in the cylinder, B from the low block, jumps and knocks the ball off the rim. Instinctively, I blow my whistle. I called goaltending on B.

The ball was blown dead on the violation by the shooter, how can there be goaltending?

Unfortunately, you're correct after the fact. The ball was dead as soon as the FT shooter violated--R6-7-9. No GT call is possible.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

I would think the violation would nullify the free throw even if there was BI.

Second if the ball is on the rim in the cylinder then it is basket interference not goaltending.

Third I seem to remember earlier on this forum that if an opponent goaltends on a free throw it is a technical but I couldn't find it in the book. I would think that BI would not be included in this rule. Could someone point me to the rule for this.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 12:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
My P's acted like I was infected with some kind of virus.

Your partners should share the blame. They should have huddled with you and got it straightened out. They deserved the same amount of blame as you do. Now comes the tough part. You learned from the call. It ain't gonna happen again. You now have to forget about it and not let it bother you. Iow, sh*t happens. Hang in there.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 12:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by cford

Third I seem to remember earlier on this forum that if an opponent goaltends on a free throw it is a technical but I couldn't find it in the book. I would think that BI would not be included in this rule. Could someone point me to the rule for this.
NFHS rule 10-3-10. Good point.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cford
10-3-10
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Damn!

I had a brain fart. I was confusing it with rule 4-19-6.

Makes perfect sense now.

I won't ever make that mistake again!

Thanks for your support (JR) and responses all!

Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 02:30pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Your partners should share the blame. They should have huddled with you and got it straightened out. They deserved the same amount of blame as you do. Now comes the tough part. You learned from the call. It ain't gonna happen again. You now have to forget about it and not let it bother you. Iow, sh*t happens. Hang in there.
Not only that Woody, but everyone that reads this thread will not let it happen.

50 more posts and I reach a thousand. Is there a secret society that I'll be invited to join?
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 02:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee

50 more posts and I reach a thousand. Is there a secret society that I'll be invited to join?
[/B]
Nope, but you will get a nude picture of Mick sent to you. You get a different one at 2000, 3000, etc. Don't tell anyone, but I've got mine up for sale on E-Bay. Offers are pouring in.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Not only that Woody, but everyone that reads this thread will not let it happen.

Yeh, the secret society of COFOO (Caring Officials For Other Officials)

Yes that's patented!
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 03:53pm
M.A.S.H.

Wait a minute. A referee wrong?? Nope, I say he was incorrect! Look, we all have our mistakes. Like everyone said, you've learned from it and it won't happen again! Just shake it off and move on, you'll be fine!

T Jones