The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Goaltending (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16487-goaltending.html)

BamaRef Wed Nov 17, 2004 01:41am

I had this happen tonight. A1 is going in for a layup and shoots the ball against the backboard like we've all seen thousands of times. B1 who is running stride for stride with A1, jumps and blocks the shot after it hits the backboard but before the ball reaches it's apex and starts down. I have no call and play continues. Of course team A is screaming for a goaltend while team B continues to play. Later I explained to team A that goaltending occurs when the ball is on it's downward flight or a blocked free throw attempt, basket interference has to do with the ball being in or above the cylinder and other factors, and that the play didn't constitute either one.

A short time later, I was near the score table. Seated there, was a coach of a local sophomore team. He explained to me that even though all four officials that he had asked had agread that the play was legal, I was wrong because his friend, our arbiter, said the play was illegal. My question is this: Are the coaches in your areas required to take tests concerning basketball rules, or are they just like ours, create the rules when they need to? We all know it is hard to reason with a coach who does know the rules, let alone one who doesn't.

What do you guys say?

Nevadaref Wed Nov 17, 2004 01:57am

Our coaches receive rule books, but likely don't bother to read them. Most of them, even the better ones, take the attitude that the officials are expected to know the rules.
They just stick to arguing them.

rainmaker Wed Nov 17, 2004 04:06am

Quote:

Originally posted by BamaRef
My question is this: Are the coaches in your areas required to take tests concerning basketball rules, or are they just like ours, create the rules when they need to?

What do you guys say?

B.

Back In The Saddle Wed Nov 17, 2004 05:01am

Quote:

I had this happen tonight. A1 is going in for a layup and shoots the ball against the backboard like we've all seen thousands of times. B1 who is running stride for stride with A1, jumps and blocks the shot after it hits the backboard but before the ball reaches it's apex and starts down. I have no call and play continues. Of course team A is screaming for a goaltend while team B continues to play. Later I explained to team A that goaltending occurs when the ball is on it's downward flight or a blocked free throw attempt, basket interference has to do with the ball being in or above the cylinder and other factors, and that the play didn't constitute either one.

A short time later, I was near the score table. Seated there, was a coach of a local sophomore team. He explained to me that even though all four officials that he had asked had agread that the play was legal, I was wrong because his friend, our arbiter, said the play was illegal. My question is this: Are the coaches in your areas required to take tests concerning basketball rules, or are they just like ours, create the rules when they need to? We all know it is hard to reason with a coach who does know the rules, let alone one who doesn't.

What do you guys say?

Which arbiter, Kirtley or Taylor?

Jurassic Referee Wed Nov 17, 2004 07:44am

Quote:

What do you guys say?

Good call, Bama.

As for the coach, I've found that the better ones are usually fairly rules-knowledgeable. It's to their benefit to be so; there are situations that do come up where they can use the rules to their advantage.When you get a coach like the one that you had, you give an explanation if they ask for one- and then walk away because it's just a waste of your time trying to convince him that you were right. You won't be able to- he already knows everything. Not worth worrying about.

ChrisSportsFan Wed Nov 17, 2004 08:31am

I generally don't have a problem with coaches who don't agree with me, my issue is when they ask for an explaination and then interrupt me. It's already a given that if the rule does not benefit them on this call, we're wrong, but let's go to the other end of the court and see how they want the rule applied.