The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Ten seconds into the extra period the referee notices that the clock shows 2:50 remaining in the period. Referee stops the game and has the timer reset the game clock to 3:50. Is the official correct?

Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

It depends. Does he have definite knowledge that only 10 seconds have elapsed? Assuming that he is correct that the clock read 3:00 instead of 4:00 he is right on.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel Poli
Ten seconds into the extra period the referee notices that the clock shows 2:50 remaining in the period. Referee stops the game and has the timer reset the game clock to 3:50. Is the official correct?
Yes. Note that the opposite (R notices 4:50 on the clock, or 3:50 after more than a minute) is not true (reset to 4:00; leave at 3:50) 5.7.3

Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Yes. Note that the opposite (R notices 4:50 on the clock, or 3:50 after more than a minute) is not true (reset to 4:00; leave at 3:50) 5.7.3
I know that's the correct interp, but what kind of sense does that make? Make sure they play the correct amount of time if the clock is too low, but not if the clock is set too high? Dumb!

And shame on the officials for starting the OT with the wrong time on the clock.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

And shame on the officials for starting the OT with the wrong time on the clock.
He forgot to mention that the jumpers were facing the wrong way, too!

PS Does anyone know of a rule or case book play dealing with starting a normal quarter with either too much or too little time on the clock? (Other than 2-5-5.)
I once had a timer accidently set the clock for 80.0 seconds for the second quarter. Looking at the board it sure looked like 8:00 minutes. I noticed it with 55 seconds showing. We just adjusted it to 7:35.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Nov 17th, 2004 at 04:15 AM]
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I know that's the correct interp, but what kind of sense does that make? Make sure they play the correct amount of time if the clock is too low, but not if the clock is set too high? Dumb!

I agree. That's (about) the same note I write in my case book next to this play every year.