The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 14, 2004, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Ok, the RPP was developed to prevent delays in getting the game going again. However, when a time-out is follwed by a throw-in, in practice we use the same procedure when both teams are on the floor ready to go: Timer's warning horn, 2nd horn, offiicial's whistle then ball placed at the disposal of the thrower. 8-2 details that RPP is to be used to prevent delay when time-outs are followed by free throw(s). In the case when all players have complied with the 1st and 2nd horns and are in position for the free throw, I do not use the official's whistle to indicate play is about to resume. I simply inform the thrower of number of free throws and place the ball at thrower's disposal. This is a minor thing but the inconsistency kind of sticks out. Is the omission of the whistle in the routine free throw case incorrect?
Old Sun Nov 14, 2004, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

No.I don't think the whistle is necessary when both teams are out on the floor.I am with you I don't blow the whistle either....However, the one thing I do want to say is RPP is not only for free throws.it can be used on the inbounds after a TO or at the start of halves or quarters (NFHS)
Old Sun Nov 14, 2004, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Blowing your whistle just before the ball comes into play is a good practice.

I believe that the book states that we blow the whistle after a delay in the play (something like that) Time out is big delay...It lets teams know that ball is coming in and we dont have any guessing when coach wants to ague that we put ball into play too fast or that his players did not know.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2004, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by betweenthelines
However, the one thing I do want to say is RPP is not only for free throws.it can be used on the inbounds after a TO or at the start of halves or quarters (NFHS)
He said that in the original post, partner.