The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   switch the arrow? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/1641-switch-arrow.html)

Matt S. Sun Feb 04, 2001 02:29am

Here we go again-partner and I both have a jump ball after a missed shot. Arrow to Team A-before even getting ready to put the ball in play, partner calls a T on player from team B-people yelling that the arrow should switch, including varisty coach of team B, who had the next game-I said the ball was never placed at the disposal of the thrower for the alt. poss., so A keeps the arrow, and gets the ball now for the tech. Am I right?

Mark Padgett Sun Feb 04, 2001 02:39am

Quote:

Originally posted by Matt S.
Here we go again-partner and I both have a jump ball after a missed shot. Arrow to Team A-before even getting ready to put the ball in play, partner calls a T on player from team B-people yelling that the arrow should switch, including varisty coach of team B, who had the next game-I said the ball was never placed at the disposal of the thrower for the alt. poss., so A keeps the arrow, and gets the ball now for the tech. Am I right?
Right result, wrong explanation. Even if the ball had been placed at the disposal of team A, but the throw-in had not been completed, the arrow still would not have changed. It's not "disposal" that makes the arrow change, but completion of the throw-in. The AP arrow does not change unless the AP throw-in is completed. If the inbounding team violates on the AP throw-in, then it is considered completed and the arrow does change.

A throw-in following technical fouls shots is part of the technical foul penalty and has nothing to do with the AP arrow.

Mark Dexter Mon Feb 05, 2001 09:58pm

>>It's not "disposal" that makes the arrow change, but completion of the throw-in. The AP arrow does not change unless the AP throw-in is completed.<<

Could you come and explain this at every table I work at, too? I consistently see guys switch the arrow too early. At a tourney game last yr, the timer switched the APA before the ball was even at the player's disposal - several times the officials blew the play dead, and we had to explain that the arrow was technically wrong.

Geez . . .

Hawks Coach Tue Feb 06, 2001 06:45pm

Mark, its one of my pet peeves - virtually nobody seems to follow this rule correctly except at the NCAA level, or when you get NCAA experienced people at an HS game.

hoopsrefBC Tue Feb 06, 2001 07:21pm

Correct me please if i wrong, but..

The throw-in doesn't have to be completed onto the court, just the opportunity must be given to complete the throw-in. What i mean by this is that a player who team has been given the ball via the alternating possession rule must be given an opportunity to complete the throw.

If the thrower-in committs a violation or the throwing in team committs a foul before the throw-in has been committed, they will lose the ball and the right to the next possession.(swith the arrow). If the defensive team committs a foul before the throw-in is completed, i would not change the arrow, because the offensive team is getting the ball as a result of a foul.(the offensive team wasn't given an opportunity to complete the throw-in resulting from the jump ball, there for will get the ball and the next possession via AP) Am i correct or do i have it wrong?

keep smiling
SH

BktBallRef Tue Feb 06, 2001 07:39pm

Quote:

Originally posted by hoopsrefBC
Okay, you're wrong! :D

Quote:

The throw-in doesn't have to be completed onto the court, just the opportunity must be given to complete the throw-in. What i mean by this is that a player who team has been given the ball via the alternating possession rule must be given an opportunity to complete the throw.

If the thrower-in committs a violation or the throwing in team committs a foul before the throw-in has been committed, they will lose the ball and the right to the next possession.(swith the arrow). If the defensive team committs a foul before the throw-in is completed, i would not change the arrow, because the offensive team is getting the ball as a result of a foul.(the offensive team wasn't given an opportunity to complete the throw-in resulting from the jump ball, there for will get the ball and the next possession via AP) Am i correct or do i have it wrong?
The throw-in must be completed for the arrow to change unless there is a violation by A. If either team fouls prior to the throw-in being completed, the arrow doesn't change.

Mark Dexter Tue Feb 06, 2001 08:17pm

Quote:

Originally posted by hoopsrefBC

keep smiling
SH

Not quite.

6-3-4 States that the AP arrow switches when the AP throw-in ends. The AP throw-in ends when the throw-in ends or the throw-in team violates.

If a foul occurs, the violated team gets the ball independent of the AP arrow, so the arrow does not switch. 6-3-5 has the foul/no-switch rule.

hoopsrefBC Wed Feb 07, 2001 02:41am

OK OK, not bad people caught the error.

My main point was that the throw-in doesn't need to be complete, just that the opportunity must be given for the team to complete the throw-in.

keep smiling
SH