The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Legal "counting" position (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16407-legal-counting-position.html)

Burtis449 Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:28am

National Federation Rules.
Offensive player with the ball in the front court in a "trapped by sideline" situation is guarded by a player who has one foot on an out of bounds line. Should the referee be counting for a possible 5 second violation?
Or should there be no count because the defender has a guarding position which is not legal because he/she has one foot on the line!!
I'm using the same logic as the defender who has one foot on the line and takes contact from the offensive player. This is to be called a "block" because the defender is not in a legal guarding position.

cmathews Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:53am

there should be no count as there is no LGP which is a requirement for the closely guarded count.

zebraman Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:02am

Oh Lord, I sense another 9 page thread starting. :eek:

Z

Forksref Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:07am

Quote:

Originally posted by zebraman
Oh Lord, I sense another 9 page thread starting. :eek:

Z

No need for 9 pages. cmathews has it nailed.

jritchie Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:08am

i was feeling the same thing!!!! this one could be more though!!! :)

Redhouse Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:37am

let me help

let me see if i can help make this a little bit longer. Supose that B1 has already established a legal guarding position as per federation rules. after your count has begun A1 moves toward the sideline where B1's foot touches the OOB line. Do you continue the count in this situation since LGP had already been established?

cmathews Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:40am

No, legal guarding position must be maintained, you do not have LGP with a foot out of bounds.

Jurassic Referee Fri Nov 12, 2004 01:57pm

Quote:

Originally posted by cmathews
No, legal guarding position must be maintained, you do not have LGP with a foot out of bounds.
Even in Washington?

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I'll go sit in the corner. :D

zebraman Fri Nov 12, 2004 02:26pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Even in Washington?

It depends on whether the game is started with a jump ball or a coin flip. Move over Jurassic, there's room for two in that corner.

Z

Jurassic Referee Fri Nov 12, 2004 02:41pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Even in Washington?

It depends on whether the game is started with a jump ball or a coin flip. Move over Jurassic, there's room for two in that corner.

Z, If Chuck and Rocky were refereeing, we could start the game with a dwarf toss.

zebraman Fri Nov 12, 2004 02:44pm

Quote:

Z, If Chuck and Rocky were refereeing, we could start the game with a dwarf toss.

You actually made me laugh out loud. Stop it, my cubemates already think I'm weird enough.

Z

cmathews Fri Nov 12, 2004 03:16pm

Quote:

Quote:

You actually made me laugh out loud. Stop it, my cubemates already think I'm weird enough.

Z

is the civil liberties union going to allow such a thing as a dwarf toss....and will it be similar to the one used in the old bouncers competition where they tossed the little people for distance???

Jurassic Referee Fri Nov 12, 2004 03:27pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Z

is the civil liberties union going to allow such a thing as a dwarf toss....and will it be similar to the one used in the old bouncers competition where they tossed the little people for distance???

Is it up to the ACLU or the NFHS? Does one take precedence over the other? Or would this be one of those approved state try-out experimental rules?

How can you tell it's Friday?

ChuckElias Fri Nov 12, 2004 03:31pm

Quote:

there should be no count as there is no LGP which is a requirement for the closely guarded count.
Yeah, but doessn't a "trap" usually consist of two defenders? One of them has to be inbounds. Keep counting.

cmathews Fri Nov 12, 2004 03:33pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Yeah, but doessn't a "trap" usually consist of two defenders? One of them has to be inbounds. Keep counting.

Chuck I agree, but the way the situation above is worded it implies one defender...if there are 2 and one is inbounds I completely agree...

on another note, is it time for someone to drag out the dwarf squirell picture yet??